Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #41
jmadtx

Black Belt

vCash: 3406
cant believe how shitty they pay him

We're the best cuz it's important to us."
jmadtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #42
Sirwastealot

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulian View Post
Just smile... give them a thumbs up... damn it it's still on me. What do i do with my hands?

He's one of those socially awkward fighters. But skill wise he could be the the best champ in the company, i think UFC is missing a big opportunity to market this guy. He could become a fan favorite.

- Tabarnakos
Sirwastealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #43
pick999

Purple Belt

he shud easily make 250k plus unlike faber who flops when he fights for title

pick999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #44
Sirwastealot

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA03 View Post
Unfortunatly for Barao, he is the least well known of all UFC champs and probably doesn't add a lot in PPV buys. He needs to hire Chael Sonnen as his publicist and mentorer, THEN he would make BIG money!
Or just keep winning, maybe eventually move up a weight class. He'l never be GSP famous, but if he keeps winning his popularity will grow exponentially. Maybe Dana is too short sighted to realize this but fans don't just want hype and hyperbole, a lot of them want to see the best fighters perform.

- Tabarnakos
Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #45
JudoThrowFiasco

Purple Belt

I don't get the logic on this site. You say Barao deserves top dollar based on skills but then say comments like "I'm not interested in the smaller weight classes" or "I'm not buying a ppv headlined by a 135lber"

Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #46
jn677**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwastealot View Post
Or just keep winning, maybe eventually move up a weight class. He'l never be GSP famous, but if he keeps winning his popularity will grow exponentially. Maybe Dana is too short sighted to realize this but fans don't just want hype and hyperbole, a lot of them want to see the best fighters perform.
GSP is a good example. He is bad on camera, super socially awkward and speaks very poor english but is very popular because he was on the top for so long and he had a whole country behind him.

Barao could easily be the very best mixed martial artist out there and he could stay on the top for a few years and get the whole country of brazil behind him.

Yeah he isnt as good looking as gsp but he gives wayyyy better performances so i think those 2 cancel eachother out.

Barao deserves to be getting half a million a fight at this point in his career and if he keeps winning hopefully he can get a raise and some big ticket sponsors and be making a few million a fight.

jn677** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #47
Sirwastealot

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn677 View Post
GSP is a good example. He is bad on camera, super socially awkward and speaks very poor english but is very popular because he was on the top for so long and he had a whole country behind him.

Barao could easily be the very best mixed martial artist out there and he could stay on the top for a few years and get the whole country of brazil behind him.

Yeah he isnt as good looking as gsp but he gives wayyyy better performances so i think those 2 cancel eachother out.

Barao deserves to be getting half a million a fight at this point in his career and if he keeps winning hopefully he can get a raise and some big ticket sponsors and be making a few million a fight.
GSP was a huge PPV star. Not just popular in Canada but pretty big in US as well. As you mentioned, his looks probably had a role to play along with everything else. It's like the total package. Even though he didn't finish fights, but thats the kind of champion people like to see.

I don't think barao will ever quite get that kind of popularity. But who knows. I do think he's tailor made to be one of the PPV stars for UFC. Right now he's not pulling the kind of numbers to get half a mil. But he should be getting more hype and attention. The guy is young and always down for a challenging fight, he's the perfect fighter for UFC to promote right now. Along with rousey because everyone loves her right now.

I wasn't even a big fan of barao, i wanted faber to win. But you can't deny it, he's a unique talent.

- Tabarnakos