Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
Zlatan1

Brown Belt

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticMethod View Post
Just two minor issues with your quite comprehensive post:

1. GSP fought Hughes for the the third time before he rematched Serra (it was for an interim title).

2. Lesnar won the title from Couture. Mir (who was interim champion at the time) was Lesnar's first defense.
Yup, you're right. Point of the op stays the same.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #22
EndlessCritic

Red Belt

vCash: 500
so what percentage of title fights are rematches exactly?

EndlessCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #23
Organic Damage

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarcasmic View Post
I don't have a problem with rematches; I have a problem with undeserved title fights.
As much as rematches have been bemoaned lately around here, I have to agree. Mendes for example is one guy I think has done enough to get another crack at Aldo.

No problem with Barao v. Dillashaw II - after Barao beats someone else up as badly as TJ beat him.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #24
Blayt7hh

Silver Belt

A lot of those re matches are actually legitimate. Frankie vs Maynard trilogy, GSP Hughes 2, JDS Cain 2, Lyoto Shogun 2 and more. Why don't you just list the ones that are kind of bullshit instead. Right now you're being sensationalist

Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
Zlatan1

Brown Belt

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayt7hh View Post
A lot of those re matches are actually legitimate. Frankie vs Maynard trilogy, GSP Hughes 2, JDS Cain 2, Lyoto Shogun 2 and more. Why don't you just list the ones that are kind of bullshit instead. Right now you're being sensationalist
Well, I believe the the term "bullshit" is kind of subjective. In my opinion, Cain vs JDS III happened way too early. TJ vs Barao is bullshit. Benson vs Frankie II was bullshit, too. There is no objective definition of "bullshit". I just posted some facts.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
BigGulp
Banned

The quick turnaround or instant rematches UFC makes are usually big fights, or fights that will generate interest. I llike to complain about it as well, but its also not as big a deal as its made out to be.

The only really bad rematch i've seen is Barao vs TJ. And you can argue that the division is weak and that is the biggest fight to make in the entire division, outside of Faber vs. TJ.

I'm not so against it if it can be justified, but people love to complain about everything. Now if the division is stacked and the rematch, then its time to complain.

BigGulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
Hendo101

Purple Belt

I agree TS, there are way to many re-matches in the UFC. The only time there should be a re-match is if there was a draw or a controversial split decision or a ridiculous unanimous decision.

These BS immediate re-matches are getting ridiculous such as Dillashaw/Barao. Dillashaw destroyed Barao and there's a re-match? Makes no sense. If Jones loses to DC I would bet a million dollars there's an immediate re-match. Same goes for every champion besides Weidman or Dillashaw.

Dan Henderson
Junior dos Santos
Hendo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #28
ReadWrite

The UFC needs to crank up the heat on fallen, butt-hurt, cry-baby, whining, excuse-filled ex-champions.

You want a rematch, you bet your entire purse. If you lose, you get nothing. Champion gets your entire purse (to go with your soul).

Put your money where your mouth (or big fat ego) is!!