Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #41
Blackjack

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by countswagula View Post
He would not be licensed to fight due to being 100lbs over the liit
Its an arbitrary limit that can very easily be changed.Serious sports promotions like NFL don't set weight limits. If someone is gonna make them money they will be hired. There could be a super-heavyweight division. There are a number of things that could be done to accommodate a fighter over 300 pounds. Would the NBA institute a 7 foot height limit? No, because it's a business. They want to make money. If there's a & foot 2 inch guy who they feel has potential to be a star why the hell wouldn't they find a way to use him even if they did have a 7 foot height limit? They'd change the limit.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #42
Taric
Belt Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp@cePeanut View Post
"Prime Nog" I didn't know there ever was one
The one that didn't have surgery on his eye, knees, both hips.

I'd say the second you can barely see out of one your eyes, that takes you out of your prime.

Taric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #43
Jack Handy jr

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Not in Super Heavyweight. That's what he is; he's a super heavyweight. There was a time when if you asked a professional football coach if he'd want a 330 pound man on his team he'd say "No. He'd be too slow" But times change. Training techniques evolve. People are getting bigger (on average). So you can't just expect a 265 weight limit to last forever. As soon as the right guys show up, we'll see fights with guys heavier than 265. The UFC isn't going to throw away money out of some weird allegiance to the "sacred" 265 pound weight limit.

The NFL and NBA don't impose any artificial weight or height limits. They want the best of the best. If the best happens to be a big guy, so be it. They're not going to sacrifice income any more than The UFC will. These organizations are out to make the most money possible.
agree. there are guys in the nfl that would make awesome super heavyweight fighters, the retired Stephen Neal being a good example he played at 305lbs but could move and didn't look terribly "sloppy" Arthur and Chandlier jones, would be another example a guy who can move that weight around. just make some small changes like four two minute rounds an require these guys to wear rash guards. the ufc is already moving towards a uniform.

Jack Handy jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #44
irish0331

Orange Belt

vCash: 126
Wtf is a prime Bob Sapp?

irish0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #45
tasticles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller1017 View Post
I know Bob Sapp's been a big joke for almost a decade now.
But I do remember him defeating twice a kickboxing legend ike Ernesto Hoost, like completely. I remember a prime Bob Sapp ragdolling and throwing around Big Nog, who eventually caught him with a great armbar.
I mean his technique was surely quite poor, but damn was he big and strong (350 lbs, most of it being muscle, 6ft5in tall). And his chin wasn't bad...I mean he never really got knocked out, most of his late fights finish with him being punched and pretending to be in excruciating pain...but I actually believe he's giving away most of those fights for money...I mean a man that took thousands of kicks and punches from Hoost can't succumb to a 170 lbs can from Romania or whatever (no racial issues being raised ), I believe he's selling fights and just wants to avoid injuries. But I think he did have heart and passion for the sport in the past.
My point is...I'm not saying he would be HW champ...but if he trained and had some sort of conditioning he could be top 8 to 12 and could have a chance at beating people like werdum or overeem, silva, browne, hunt etc etc.
Don't get me wrong though...I'm no Sapp fan. I just think he's a fake and doesn't fight to full potential. I'm just saying that he could put up a decent fight if he just tried!
1. he would never make 265
2. He would piss hot on every fight
3. He threw so many damn fights noone can fairly assess what his real potential was.

Based on what i saw him do to a semi prime big nog, i'd say people grossly underestimate him. I think he could've done better than brock lesnar if that says anything.

tasticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #46
Free_MMAson

Silver Belt

He would help pad a lot of fighter's records

Free_MMAson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #47
Boomb

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller1017 View Post
but I actually believe he's giving away most of those fights for money.

Boomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #48
logicthepoet

Blue Belt

Lol at "Prime Sapp"

I think i disagree with the premise of the original question.

Silva, Nogueira, Junior, Aldo, Roger Gracie, Jacare, Glover
logicthepoet is offline   Reply With Quote