Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #41
Reaver

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
I think the Albuquerque card may have trouble. Looking at ticket prices, crap seats start at 200 and even though rustam is technically local, I don't see it selling out even in as small a venue as Tingley.

Last edited by Reaver; 03-28-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #42
Fiction1982

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddy96 View Post
It's currently 47% humidity in Albuquerque. What's the problem with Arizona?
What isn't wrong with that awful state....

Fiction1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #43
Terrorizer
Greed is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRackham View Post
Seriously though, I bet its to do with Johnny McCain. UFC and zuffa like holding grudges.
I highly doubt it. John McCain made his statement about human **** fighting back in the 90's. Since then he has said that he respects mixed martial arts and that the statement he made was about the old school UFC when there were very little rules, no weight classes, etc.

I'm a fan of MMA (obviously) but to be fair I can understand why someone would object to the old school UFC. It was entertaining but it was pretty brutal. "Human cockfighting" is a sensationalized way to describe it but I get where he is coming from.

Terrorizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #44
TFanatic

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I think the Albuquerque card may have trouble. Looking at ticket prices, crap seats start at 200 and even though rustam is technically local, I don't see it selling out even in as small a venue as Tingley.
Is it definitely in Tingley? That sucks because Tingley has been shitty for years.

TFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #45
RedRackham

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPherson911 View Post
I think they've kissed and made up. McCain was interviewed on the FS1 "documentary/fellatio-piece" last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
I highly doubt it. John McCain made his statement about human **** fighting back in the 90's. Since then he has said that he respects mixed martial arts and that the statement he made was about the old school UFC when there were very little rules, no weight classes, etc.

I'm a fan of MMA (obviously) but to be fair I can understand why someone would object to the old school UFC. It was entertaining but it was pretty brutal. "Human cockfighting" is a sensationalized way to describe it but I get where he is coming from.
They may have done so, but grudges can still exist. And McCain didn't only get it banned in Arizona, he tried to get it banned all over. HUGE letter writing campaign to other politicians on his part.

Often, even now, when people speak out against the sport, they quote him. John McCain is a long serving politician and respected by a lot of people.

A perfect quote form a perfect person. Human **** fighting, not from some liberal "pansy" but a war hero, tough talking "maverick", for people who like him or not. And it may have been in the 90s, but it was long after they he OKed it. 15 years later?

I would put him up with anyone or thing as being the worst thing to ever happen to the sport. And people wonder why the ufc doesn't go to his state, which isn't what you would call a highly desirable place to go anyways. Not ripping Arizona, its just not a foreign spot or some exotic place. Its "just another state". One that wanted nothing to do with the ufc until it was paying off in a huge way.

How hard is it for them to go there as well? Just because they "kiss and made up" doesn't mean its not going the other way and people like McCain in Arizona are making it hard for the ufc and still holding a grudge or disdain as well. One of or both sides can still be holding on to bad blood. Politicians are often phoney, as is Dana White, ha.

Unless you guys always buy what politicians or Dana White are telling you.

Last edited by RedRackham; 03-28-2014 at 12:44 PM.
RedRackham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #46
J228jnkwxz9gj

Black Belt

It is quicker to get to Vegas from Phoenix than it is to cross LA during rush hour. There is your answer. UFN is a possibility but if the UFC wants to put a PPV on, Vegas is just too close.

CAIN VELASQUEZ is the #1 HW in the world
J228jnkwxz9gj is offline   Reply With Quote