Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #181
Tropodan

Green Belt

vCash: 1181
I think the sport is growing but MMA is dying.

I've been a hardcore fan since the beginning and I can say for certain that the Zuffa business model has destroyed everything that was good and beautiful about the sport.

Tropodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #182
DrunkinBlindnes

Orange Belt

vCash: 50
Do I think MMA is dying?

Absolutely not. I think it is probably growing. I think that many people considered it that backyard brawling, don't tell your GF's parents your into it, I am a badass for watching it sport into a legit sport and people aren't happy because there goes their bragging rights.

An analogy. Metallica. People loved them when no one knew them. They were "my secret in my back pocket and is why I am actually cooler than you" but all of sudden they went mainstream and now it is crap.

The UFC is trying to become another regular sport on regular channels. It is hard since there is a sense of violence (same as most sports IMO) that isn't as much in your face as other sports.

Long story short...OUR sport is doing fine. Change and progress with it or be left behind hating.
'

DrunkinBlindnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #183
mommas homeboy

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
It's popularity is definitely declining. But it will always be around, even if only a few people watch it.

It's just become duller and duller over the past 3 years. It's hard to say why, maybe it's just that the novelty of it being "as real as it gets" has warn off. There are fight cards every weekend, and there aren't as many stars as there used to be. Nobody cares about 90% of the fighters today.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #184
lagofala

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
No. It's evening out in the US but growing by leaps and bounds overseas. In Singapore where i'm from its growing very popular and young people are training in gyms now. Girls are training it for fitness because of ronda rousey. My housemate from the seychelles says all his friends are really in to it now.

lagofala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #185
tjumper78

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
I dont think people will be happy with one ppv every 3-4 weeks because there are so many injury pullouts. The past 2 years are the example.
I am fine with these "watered down" weekly events.
Btw, in my life, more people know/follow the mma (the ufc to be more exact) lately.
So, no. It aint dying or slowing down imo.

fatality by pigeon wing.
tjumper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #186
Avenger1980
USSF Freedom Warwagon!!

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheater View Post
like i said i think the ufc should put on a similar number of shows at this point but make only 4-6 stacked ppv and the rest on free tv.
I agree

Avenger1980 is offline   Reply With Quote