Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #81
Karnage187

Blue Belt

vCash: 593
Im gonna have to agree that it would be in Jones' best interest to not fight Weidman. The only other person I see posing the same level of threat to Jones is Gus, and even then I have the feeling that Jones will adjust if they ever rematch. Weidman is probably the person most likely to beat Jones IMO. I feel Weidman wins the grappling and can at least neutralize the stand up.

Karnage187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #82
Merkley187

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwash View Post
I think it is imperative that if he wants to remain champion, he has to do whatever means necessary to avoid fighting Chris Weidman.

One of Jon Jones strategy is to utilize his length to keep his opponent at bay. He reaches his arms out where his opponents can't reach him, and punishes them by kicks and punches. If he learned anything from the Anderson Silva fight, is that his chicken legs is no match for Chris Weidman shin. In fact, I know this sounds silly, but Jones is very susceptible to break his leg the way Anderson Silva did and it will severely hamper his career.

With no kicks, Jones can only resort to punches. Well Chris Weidman is clearly the better puncher, he knocked out Anderson Silva by boxing him, he would have no problem knocking Jones out. We have seen that reach plays a huge role in fights, and Chris Weidman is the longest fighter at middleweight.

Jones best chance at beating Chris Weidman is taking him down, and via ground and pound. But I severely doubt that Jones has the ability to take down Chris Weidman at will, Weidman wrestling is more decorated and is well translated to mma.

Basically, all of Jones advantage is negated by a much more skilled and physically imposing fighter in Chris Weidman. Its a bad stylistic matchup for Jones, and he has a 20% chance of not getting KNOCKED OUT or having a serious leg injury either by trying to kick Weidman or getting it snapped via a leg lock.
. You are fuked buddy!!!

Merkley187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #83
MilesAbove

Brown Belt

vCash: 901
It's the only possible super-fight left and it can only happen if Weidman beats 2-3 more quality opponents.