Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #31
TFanatic

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 613 View Post
People say this in every sport. People always overrate the past and underrate the present
This. Looking through those nostalgia glasses.

And people look as the Jones/Gus/DC issue like this. Out of Jones/Gus 2, Jones/DC, and Gus/DC... Most people will choose the 2 former over the latter.

Fans still love great great fights as much as they always have, you're(TS) just being better than thou, self important twat.

TFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #32
Scoop

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac423 View Post
This

People rather see
Jones vs Gus II, and if Jones beats Gus, then Jones vs Cormier

They don't want to see two contenders eliminate the other because they want to see both contenders fight for the title consecutively instead of waiting longer for one contender to re establish himself as a contender.

So TS is actually the one with the "dumb ass thought process"
What if Glover beats Jones? MIND IS BLOWN!!!

Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #33
chefdiablo

Purple Belt

A few months ago LHW looked sad as Jone had beaten everyone that was legitimately a contender and many were writing of Gus as basically outmatched. I include myself in that category as I did think that Jones would be able to handle Gus with more finesse that he did.

DC was jawing up his eventual drop to 205 and laid the ground work for a quick title shot upon his arrival in the division.

Gus put Jones to the test and changed the whole thing.

Glover is in the mix, but he seems to be the odd man out. I don't know what to make of this. Everyone seems to be overlooking him which is a huge mistake. He might not be a smooth fighting machine but his power could light up Jones.

Machida left the division.
Shogun is a shell of his former self.
Rashad is playing games with Chael, who btw has more future fights in the works than anyone else in the damn company. He got his fight with Wand, and he is already trying to get something going with Anderson again.

Davis is on borrowed time. His stock is trading way higher than its value.

Henderson seems to have slipped off the radar, a fight with Belfort is unlikely to get him anywhere near a title shot.

If you add all of this up and try to find logical match making for the top 5 into the next year, it is quite clear how badly DC versus Gus could turn out for them from the money making point of view.

I still haven't heard when the Jones vs Teixeira fight is going to take place.

Jones has been injured in his last few fights and if the pattern continues we could see the eventual Gus rematch a year from now or perhaps longer if things don't play out well for either Gus or Jones in their next fights.

DC has to be thinking he should have said anywhere with Gus instead of not overseas.

chefdiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #34
nyduccie

Red Belt

Its completely insane.

WWE and UFC are the only two places where the fans care about how much money the organization will make as opposed to watching the best compete against the best.

Its really sad to see MMA in the UFC take this downslope.

nyduccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #35
Break Brick

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsy1 View Post
I think some people feel that Jones vs Gus is way more interesting than Gus vs Cormier considering what happened in UFC 165.

So people are caring about "good fights". It's just that different people have differing views about which fight is good.
This.
The best fights I can think of at 205 are Gus/Jones Jones/DC and Gus/DC. The order of these fights effect their likelihood of happening and how quick they happen.
It's not about "playing promoter", it's about wanting to see the best possible fights and hoping the UFC facilitates that with intelligent matchmaking

Old 10-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #36
hto63

Brown Belt

fans are not like that in general

It's just that the "Gustaffson fans" (not talking about the true fans here, you know the type I am talking about) feel like an immediate rematch with Jones is the most likely scenario in which they can finally see their most hated fighter lose

it's also a problem in some divisions specifically though, title challengers are hard to come by in some of the divisions and 205 is one of them.

hto63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #37
thatone**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatron View Post
it sure is
I just want to see the best fight to be made get made. whats the point of looking 4-5 fight ahead? why cant we see gus dc and the winner fight jones next and the loser fight him after that? are peopel so desperate to see jones lose they dont want good fighters fighting each other? why not put them all on ice thats a lot safer if we are going that route

thatone** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #38
Sac423

Brown Belt

vCash: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
What if Glover beats Jones? MIND IS BLOWN!!!
Lol that fight skipped my mind somehow. Yes, that's a possibility too

Old 10-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #39
WilbertoSilva

Blue Belt

I'd rather see Jones - Gus II, then if he wins Jones - DC. If Gus wins, we still get Gus - DC. How does this not make sense to you?

WilbertoSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #40
Sac423

Brown Belt

vCash: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatone View Post
dont be that guy man, its a bad look.
lol, staying true to yourself by not facing clear logic that I presented to you in my first post. You belong on sherdog