Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
nick1990

Green Belt

vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneeuinthenutz View Post
The UFC still owns Pride.

Like I've been saying for years. The UFC should consider running a GP for a different weight class every 3-4 years (like the olympics), in Japan, and use the old Pride format.

It would be beyond epic and generate a great deal of interest and money.
That is genuinely an awesome idea. Someone tweet Dana!

nick1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
Barbadosdaluta

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1990 View Post
That is genuinely an awesome idea. Someone tweet Dana!
Holy shit I thought the same thing, that sounds amazing!!!

Barbadosdaluta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #23
MuayThaiBX

Purple Belt

I'd like knees/kicks to grounded opponents and maybe a squared cage rather than a ring with ropes or octagon. I think the square shape forces more action (less circling) and ropes just gum up the works. Maybe keep stomps illegal as they are sometimes a bit too brutal for the fighters and audience.

MuayThaiBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #24
Mainez

Purple Belt

I don't know TS. Pride had a lot of amazing fights, but fans tend to romanticize Pride and forget how much inactivity there sometimes was because someone got a dominant position in the first minute and held it for the remaining 9 minutes. Not all refs were quick to promote activity either. But I understand where you're coming from when it comes to the current rules protecting wrestlers.

Mainez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #25
Col Kurtz

Orange Belt

The rules are OK, except the cards scores. I don't like the 10 x 9 three judges system.

Col Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #26
Barbadosdaluta

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainez View Post
I don't know TS. Pride had a lot of amazing fights, but fans tend to romanticize Pride and forget how much inactivity there sometimes was because someone got a dominant position in the first minute and held it for the remaining 9 minutes. Not all refs were quick to promote activity either. But I understand where you're coming from when it comes to the current rules protecting wrestlers.
Thank you sir, I know there were A LOT of snoozefests in Pride as well. There will always be those in combat sports

Another thing I'd like to point out, is me being very international, I meet people all over the world all the time. Japanese girls, Arab men, Mexican soccer players ect I'd find people who knew who Mirko Crocop was, who Fedor was, who Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera was, who Sakuraba was, who Genki Sudo was. But for the last couple of years that I've been traveling, not many people can name me some of today's most important fighters in the UFC.

The UFC unfortunately does market to the lowest common denominator. Unimaginative, just bleed fans, and it even does a bad job of giving those fans what they want lol.

Barbadosdaluta is online now   Reply With Quote