Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #21
cocksure

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagitarian View Post
You were on the right track but then that happened.

Race is our identity, its who we are, by denying race you deny a person's experience. It also makes it damn uncomfortable to talk about race issues when people are so afraid to call a black guy a black guy.
The Human race dude.

Gokhan Saki

Enjoy Talent.. Admire Heart.
'Every day above ground is a good day!'
cocksure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #22
Gluhov

Black on black crime never turns out the way people expect.

Off the top of my head:

Jones/evans was a dud.
Jones/Jackson was a dud.
King Mo/Jackson was a dud
Evans/Jackson was a dud
Evans/Davis was a dud.
Jonhson/Guillard was a dud.

Gluhov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #23
MysticNinjaJay

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagitarian View Post
You were on the right track but then that happened.

Race is our identity, its who we are, by denying race you deny a person's experience. It also makes it damn uncomfortable to talk about race issues when people are so afraid to call a black guy a black guy.
I said mentioning race unnecessarily not talking about it at all. I welcome conversation about race. I don't welcome pointing out someone's race without a valid reason to do so. There's a difference. Also race is only part of our identity. It's really a superficial characteristic which shouldn't have any social importance. Society makes race out to be important when it shouldn't be.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
MusterX

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksure View Post
Jones is spooked, that's why the veil is slipping, Gus showed him he was human and he is now confronted with the very real possibility of losing and losing bad.
That's a pretty hilarious assumption considering Bones is the GOAT Light Heavy and currently in his prime. Lose bad?

You better wake up and realize that Bones is better than DC and Gus. That is not to say that DC can't win, it is a fight after all, but to imply Jones is just some guy, just some pretender that has been exposed, and now he is afraid everyone is going to find out he is not the fighter we all think he is....

No. He destroys DC at 178.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
Vagitarian

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post
I said mentioning race unnecessarily not talking about it at all. I welcome conversation about race. I don't welcome pointing out someone's race without a valid reason to do so. There's a difference. Also race is only part of our identity. It's really a superficial characteristic which shouldn't have any social importance. Society makes race out to be important when it shouldn't be.
Perhaps I misunderstand, it just sounded like you were one of those "I don't see race" people who seem to dominate society nowadays.

And you're right, it is a small part of our identity, unfortunately the way our society works, that small part of our identity casts a giant shadow over us. In order to say race is a social construct and is superficial, we first need to fix the issues and effects race cause, because even though it isn't real it still holds tremendous power over us.

I'm really surprised I'm having a discussion about race that isn't about the inferiority of Asians in sports or rationalizing black success in sports.

Vagitarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #26
Cazador

Gold Belt

Don't jinx it.

Just remembering how Evans/Jackson went, I still can't believe I fell for that one. That was the last time I bought the pre fight hype for any UFC card.

"I'm gonna knock you clean out!" Yeah right.

Cazador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #27
Jermei
Incredulous in Carbonite

vCash: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhov View Post
Black on black crime never turns out the way people expect.

Off the top of my head:

Jones/evans was a dud.
Jones/Jackson was a dud.
King Mo/Jackson was a dud
Evans/Jackson was a dud
Evans/Davis was a dud.
Jonhson/Guillard was a dud.
Kimbo / Alexander was a dub

Rumble / Davis was not a dud for Rumble fans

Jermei is online now   Reply With Quote