Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #51
Thrawn33

vCash: 12346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
Judie = Judo. He's saying Judie was his love and it beat the shit out of him.
And left an 8 in scar on my leg with a plate and some screws yes....

Join us and be Born Again in Blood
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/group.php?groupid=415
Thrawn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #52
supernova
光縁 LIMITLESS 起物

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn33 View Post
And left an 8 in scar on my leg with a plate and some screws yes....
Anderson is that you?

Tore everything in my lower back, dislocated shoulder.

"That truth is that monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win."
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #53
Thrawn33

vCash: 12346
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Anderson is that you?

Tore everything in my lower back, dislocated shoulder.
Anderson had a good clean break, me not so much....

Warning, nasty spiral fracture of the lower leg/ankle
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
My view of things, in shock and looking down at my ankle (getting a picture seemed like a good idea at the time). My knee is facing up and its my right foot....

Join us and be Born Again in Blood
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/group.php?groupid=415
Thrawn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #54
Break_the_will

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn33 View Post
My KJJ=Kano JJ

Old school Judo placed equal emphasis on the ground game, while ending the fight with a big throw was preferred, Kano Sensei was smart enough to realize this wasn't always the case.
Ah gotcha. I misunderstood.

While i agree that the ground game was certainly incorporated, and may have been taught to you with equal emphasis i'll have to respectfully disagree. Fukuda Hachinosuke, Iso Masatomo, and Iikubo Tsunetoshi were all "sensei's" to Kano, but all of these teachers were traditional Jujutsu practitioners. Their form of grappling was very very limited to top control grappling, pins, and a handful of joint-locks. It simply wasn't practical for them to spend any more than a couple of seconds on the ground in combat. They only wanted to incapacitate their enemy, and move on. Because of this influence Kano JJ AKA the original Judo practitioners and competitions did not see the ground grappling equally as the standing grappling. Nage Waza (throws) from my teachings were almost always the precursor to Katame Waza (grappling), and virtually no time was spent on Ne-Waza (purely ground or prone grappling). The same could be said about Atemi-Waza (striking). It is absolutely a part of the art, but IMO makes up less than 5% of it and is almost forgotten in today's Judo. Certain techniques have remained, IE the Juji Gatame(armlock), and still are emphasized, but the time spent learning them and the number of variants to Kansetsu-Waza(Joint locking sumbission grappling) is very limited even when compared to Traditional Jujutsu.

Last edited by Break_the_will; 02-11-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Break_the_will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #55
CONCRETE CHALLY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben236 View Post
A double leg can land you in side control, but you'll end up much closer to your opponents hips (which makes it easier for him to transition back to half/full guard) when compared to a judo throw that will land you much higher up on your opponent's body (closer to the head) which put's you in a much better position to transition to mount.
To bad those flashy Judo throws only work on female boxers/kick boxers. Greco has stronger throws with a higher % of completing.

CONCRETE CHALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #56
Break_the_will

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONCRETE CHALLY View Post
To bad those flashy Judo throws only work on female boxers/kick boxers. Greco has stronger throws with a higher % of completing.
First off you have no idea what you're talking about. Not all Judo Nage Waza are flashy. Most actually are more practical and involve a trip or counter-balance sweep. These techniques are effective against anyone if done correctly. (See Karo, Sexyama, Ronda, Natsula, Yoshida, Aoki, etc)

Secondly Greco practitioners can't touch you below the waist in any way. That means they either have to suplay you, or bear-hug slam you... both of which are extremely rare and difficult. They may be able to take you down using the other techniques if you're unprepared... but to assume all greco technique is superior to Judo is plainly ignorant. What you see most greco guys do is use their legs to accomplish a trip or sweep with modified greco holds. Most of these are the same moves taken from judo.

Yeah... no.

Break_the_will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #57
supernova
光縁 LIMITLESS 起物

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONCRETE CHALLY View Post
Not even close

"That truth is that monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win."
Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #58
MaTaLa

vCash: 5212
Ronda the Ripper

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is a beast
MaTaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #59
supernova
光縁 LIMITLESS 起物

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break_the_will View Post
First off you have no idea what you're talking about. Not all Judo Nage Waza are flashy. Most actually are more practical and involve a trip or counter-balance sweep. These techniques are effective against anyone if done correctly. (See Karo, Sexyama, Ronda, Natsula, Yoshida, Aoki, etc)

Secondly Greco practitioners can't touch you below the waist in any way. That means they either have to suplay you, or bear-hug slam you... both of which are extremely rare and difficult. They may be able to take you down using the technique if you're unprepared... but to assume all greco technique is superior to Judo is plainly ignorant. What you see most greco guys do is use their legs to accomplish a trip or sweep with modified greco holds. Most of these are the same moves taken from judo.

Yeah... no.
Great post, that kid was prolly one of the tools calling Jon Jones osotogari a Greco throw.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #60
Tankeray

vCash: 108
Ronda "rip throws" rousey