Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion > The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion Discuss The Ultimate Fighter reality show and Spike-related topics here.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
FrickenChicken

White Belt

vCash: 500
Ufc's International Market's

So as of lately the UFC has show an increased interest in globalization by expanding into foreign markets. Along side the Americans, Brazilians, Japenese and Englishmen in the octagon we have seen a much wider spectrum of talent. With the way things are going fans from every country will have a superstar or staple representing their heritage. Especially with the ultimate fighter now in Canada, China, and soon India as well as Mexico.

So my question is which of the countries are you most excited/interested/don't give a damn about?

1.Russia - my personal favorite producing some BMF's
2.Scandinavia - someone school on them I heard a lot but have only seen gunner Nelson, who is cool IMO.
3. India - haven't seen much but they have decent Olympic wrestling (apparently)
4. Pacific Islanders (New Zeland, suma, etc.) - seem to be booming didn't do the best however in the last Australia card. But whatevs
5.china - tuf is now there and it should be interesting how they match up in the U.S.

What y'all got???

Sun Tzu

It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.

Niccolo Machiavelli
FrickenChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
kashmir
beef action belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickenChicken View Post
So as of lately the UFC has show an increased interest in globalization by expanding into foreign markets. Along side the Americans, Brazilians, Japenese and Englishmen in the octagon we have seen a much wider spectrum of talent. With the way things are going fans from every country will have a superstar or staple representing their heritage. Especially with the ultimate fighter now in Canada, China, and soon India as well as Mexico.

So my question is which of the countries are you most excited/interested/don't give a damn about?

1.Russia - my personal favorite producing some BMF's
2.Scandinavia - someone school on them I heard a lot but have only seen gunner Nelson, who is cool IMO.
3. India - haven't seen much but they have decent Olympic wrestling (apparently)
4. Pacific Islanders (New Zeland, suma, etc.) - seem to be booming didn't do the best however in the last Australia card. But whatevs
5.china - tuf is now there and it should be interesting how they match up in the U.S.

What y'all got???
Dagestan/Chechnya has probably the greatest potential. Great grappling culture, Sambo and wrestling. Foreign wrestlers were swarming to Dagestani wrestling school ahead of London olympics. People don't know that Dagestan wrestling school is producing olympic gold medalists in wrestling. Its not just about Sambo.

Scandinavia, I don't know much but a few years back MMA was a rage in Finland. I'm not sure about the current MMA scene. We have fighters like Ninimaki (typo), Gunnar and Gus breaking through.

Absolutely zero potential in India. Cricket is the only sport that exists here. Good localised wrestling culture in certain areas but MMA is not something that can capture their imagination, for now.

Oceanic MMA is doing great. They need to do more events and scout for talent. It has potential.

I don't know much about China. We'll see if TUF has any impact on general MMA scene there. Don't know if MMA has any kind of foothold there.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
FrickenChicken

White Belt

Wow I didn't know that about Dagestan-Chechnya. I liked Amagov he was from Chechnya I think, and showed some potential before retiring.

I'm not very optimistic about the Tuf China guys. I'm sure they are very talented but from what episodes I have seen I don't see them keeping up with most of the ufc talent. I have a few buddies who train in Malaysia and they say the mma market is still in baby form. Who knows maybe they product a champ. Who are we to say...

Sun Tzu

It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.

Niccolo Machiavelli
FrickenChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
maksy

Black Belt

vCash: 50
TUF Russia,Japan,Korea would be a great for UFC and for us MMA fans

Hardcore Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler fan
maksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
used2wrestle

Purple Belt

Russia and it's breakoff states are the only ones actually competitive and maybe poland because of KSW. The problem with all the other countries is their lack of wrestling, so they get schooled and are basically relegated to undercards fighting UFC newbies and also get a pass after many losses. Look at what happened to that Chinese guy after he started facing even mediocre competition...

Anyways, the Russians have their sambo and it shows how effective it is.

used2wrestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
EndlessCritic

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by used2wrestle View Post

Anyways, the Russians have their sambo and it shows how effective it is.
You do realize that there are many great wrestlers in Russia right, and not all have a sambo background?

EndlessCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Blaatand

White Belt

Like Zangief

Blaatand is offline   Reply With Quote