Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #21
BGDDYKWL

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Weidman will definitely be the face. He's the best interview and is also very likable. Cain is likable but dull, and Jones rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Not to mention both have been champs a while and aren't the "face" of the company. Weidman's the only one with a shot of becoming that.

BGDDYKWL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #22
EmeliankoFan1

Red Belt

Being an exciting fighter is one ingredient as an American fighter, more than charisma. Wiedman, Jones and Cain are wrestlers and that can weigh heavily on their fights in terms of being fight fan friendly. Outside of GSP, I find wrestlers will usually struggle in terms of excitement on casuals.

Weidman because of who he is and demographics could possibly be the face. He is a white American champion and if he dominates that will garner him some weight. If Cain can actually get the Mexican Market, he can do well. Jones could also do well in terms of being a celebrity in MMA, like a lebron as he seems to be the celebrated urban fighter.

I think it depends on demographics but as of now Jones seems to have more name recognition and he may be the face of the company without even needing to have the best PPV's.

Last edited by EmeliankoFan1; 02-05-2014 at 09:04 PM.
EmeliankoFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #23
Rhamnetin
Banned

Jones

Rhamnetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #24
terribill

Blue Belt

If you think about it, there's not really a singular face to most sports, except maybe the NBA (Lebron obv.)

there's usualy multiple faces that make up the landscape, some examples:

Ray Lewis, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Richard Sherman, Peyton

Manny, Mayweather. In the past, you had Tyson, Foreman, Holyfield, Lewis.

Cabrerra, A-Rod, Verlander, Ortiz

Federrer, Murray, Yokavich, Nadal

Lebron, Durant, Anthony, Kobe

I'd say its about cultivating a couple faces. It would speak to the lack of compeition in a sport if u could only think of one face as a non fan...

Already I'd say Jones, Cain, Aldo, previously GSP and Pettis are carrying the torch for the UFC. With any luck (and a spinning back kick) we can add the Jesus Lion to that list.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #25
DizzyYeahYeah

Brown Belt

vCash: 223
I don't see Weidman being the face, the UFC might push him to be the face of the company, but I just don't see it.

He's just as boring as Cain.

DizzyYeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #26
daddison

White Belt

I think that it will likely be cain. I don't think cain is beatable right now, and as he continues to rack up more wins there will be a greater appriciation for his stoic personality. A lot of people dislike Jon Jones but he is very entertaining, I do however think someone will beat him in the near future. Middle weight is looking so tough I don't think the belt will stay in one place for long.

daddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
machida420

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmen View Post
If they keep winning, who will be the 'Face' of the company and 'cash cow'? Say all of them remain champs for the next 2 years, who will be the most popular and or marketable? Which guy is more marketable or who has the better personality and is more likeable. In 2 years who knows what could happen, Jones could do something so spectacular that ppl stop hating him, any of them could. So who you got? Thoughts?

Weidman is undefeated so if he is still undefeated in 2 years and still champ with his attitude and humble personality. I think he will be the face of the UFC.
yeah weidman all the way here in america, cane mexico, blackhouse brazil, petis/diaz socal miocic cleveland (im from ohio), world wide just getin started somebody finish for me this shits global!!!!peice out gsp

machida420 is offline   Reply With Quote