Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
BionicCommando

Red Belt

vCash: 480
Gibson seemed like an eventual lock given that Sean Shelby is a fan of his and he went pretty far in the TUF try outs. Should make nice highlight reel material for Sterling.

Now if we could just figure out this Munhoz situation.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #22
Arkain2K
Si vis pacem, para bellum

vCash: 12865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicCommando View Post
Now if we could just figure out this Munhoz situation.
It's already confirmed on the UFC 170's page: http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC170

I survived "TPF 10 - Let the Streams Fail".
Arkain2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 AM   #23
Arkain2K

Lucas Martins out, Cody Gibson meets Aljamain Sterling at UFC 170

Next week’s UFC 170 card continues to get an overhaul.

Lucas Martins (14-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is the latest victim of the injury bug. The Brazilian is out of his fight against Aljamain Sterling (8-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC). In his place steps Cody Gibson (11-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on less than two weeks’ notice.

UFC officials announced the new matchup late Tuesday night.

UFC 170 takes place Feb. 22 at Las Vegas’ Mandalay Bay Events Center. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass. The main event is a women’s bantamweight title fight between champ Ronda Rousey and fellow Olympic medalist Sara McMann.

Like Sterling, Gibson will be making his UFC debut. The Californian will come in riding a six-fight winning streak that includes three submissions and a knockout. He went 4-0 in 2013. The Tachi Palace Fights veteran has a resume that includes a win over UFC vet Walel Watson and WEC vet Chad George.

“Making it to the UFC has been a goal of mine for the last five years and it was amazing to finally have that goal come to fruition,” Gibson posted on his Facebook page. “… The opportunity is great, but it’s what I do with that opportunity that will tell the tale.”

Sterling is giving up his bantamweight belt for the New Jersey-based Cage Fury Fighting Championships, where he’s won his past five bouts and won the title. Four of his five appearances for the promotion have ended in stoppage victories. He’s a product of the Matt Serra-Ray Longo team in New York.

Martins was going after his third straight win. Following a UFC debut loss to Edson Barboza, he knocked out Jeremy Larsen at UFC on FX 8, then choked out Ramiro Hernandez at UFC Fight Night 28.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/lucas-m...ng-at-ufc-170/

Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #24
Arkain2K

UFC 170: Officials Put Together Two More Fights, Set Lineup

UFC officials have been busy working on putting together UFC 170, which goes down a week from this Saturday night.

While bouts between UFC female bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey and Sara McMann, Daniel Cormier and Rashad Evans, and Demian Maia and Rory MacDonald have all remained intact, several undercard fights have been re-worked.

First, the signing of Pedro Munhoz was made official, as the Resurrection Fighting Alliance champion will make his debut against Raphael Assuncao on the FOX Sports 1 prelim portion of the night.

Munhoz is a perfect 10-0 in his career, while Assuncao has won five straight and is 21-4.

Another prelim fight on FS1 will see newcomers Cody Gibson and Aljamain Sterling meet. Sterling was announced previously as an injury replacement, while Gibson does the same.

Below is the current lineup:

MAIN CARD (PPV/10 p.m. ET)

UFC Female Bantamweight Championship
Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Sara McMann
Light Heavyweight: Rashad Evans vs. Daniel Cormier
Welterweight: Demian Maia vs. Rory MacDonald
Welterweight: Mike Pyle vs. TJ Waldburger
Welterweight: Stephen Thompson vs. Robert Whittaker

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1/8 p.m. ET)

Female Bantamweight: Jessica Eye vs. Alexis Davis
Bantamweight: Raphael Assuncao vs. Pedro Munhoz
Bantamweight: Cody Gibson vs. Aljamain Sterling
Flyweight: Zach Makovsky vs. Josh Sampo

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass/7:30 p.m. ET)

Lightweight: Erik Koch vs. Rafaello Oliveira
Lightweight: Ernest Chavez vs. Yosdenis Cedeno

http://www.fightline.com/ufc-170-off...ts-set-lineup/

Old 02-12-2014, 02:54 AM   #25
HuntersCreed

vCash: 20000
You're pretty excited about this huh?

2003 Honda Shadow A.C.E. Deluxe VT750CD
HuntersCreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #26
Cooliox

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
I don't get people that use 3 exclamation marks. That's not how it works :p

Cooliox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 AM   #27
Don Rabah

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
i hope rashad wins i cant stand DC piece of shit id fight him on 1 hour notice

Don Rabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #28
Arkain2K

Leg injury knocks Rashad Evans out of UFC 170 co-main event with Daniel Cormier

The UFC 170 card has been hit by its fair share of injuries, but this one hurts.

A leg injury has knocked Rashad Evans (21-3-1 MMA, 14-3-1 UFC) out of his co-main event bout against Daniel Cormier (13-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at next week’s card in Las Vegas. UFC officials announced the news Wednesday night.

UFC 170 takes place Feb. 22 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass. The card is headlined by a women’s bantamweight title fight between champion Ronda Rousey and Sara McMann.

The UFC said the late nature of the injury will mean no replacement fighter will be sought for Cormier, nor will there be a replacement fight added to the event, which now will be complete with 10 fights instead of 11. The UFC did not announce which fight from the preliminary card will move up onto the pay-per-view portion of the show. A welterweight bout between Rory MacDonald and Demian Maia now becomes the co-feature.

The news came just about six hours after Evans wrapped up a media-only conference call, on which he discussed his fight against Cormier. No mention of the injury was made on the call.

Specifics of Evans’ leg injury were not revealed. However, the UFC retreated news from Yahoo! Sports reporter Kevin Iole, who said that UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta told him Evans would not require surgery, but would need a month’s worth of rehab.

Evans was going after his third straight win and was tasked with welcoming his longtime friend Cormier to the light heavyweight division for the first time. Cormier was moving down from his longtime heavyweight home, where he won the Strikeforce grand prix in 2012.

With the cancellation, the UFC 170 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Ronda Rousey vs. Sara McMann – for women’s bantamweight title
Rory MacDonald vs. Demian Maia
Mike Pyle vs. T.J. Waldburger
Stephen Thompson vs. Robert Whittaker

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

Alexis Davis vs. Jessica Eye
Raphael Assuncao vs. Pedro Munhoz
Cody Gibson vs. Aljamain Sterling
Zach Makovsky vs. Josh Sampo

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET)

Erik Koch vs. Rafaello Oliveira
Ernest Chavez vs. Yosdenis Cedeno

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/leg-inj...aniel-cormier/

Old 02-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #29
Arkain2K

Daniel Cormier remains on UFC 170, meets newcomer Patrick Cummins

Daniel Cormier will remain on next week's UFC 170 card after all.

A day after the UFC decided to pull Cormier from the card following Rashad Evans' knee injury, the promotion has decided to book Cormier vs. newcomer Patrick Cummins as the new co-main event of UFC 170, UFC president Dana White confirmed with MMAFighting.com.

"I heard about this kid Patrick Cummins before," UFC president Dana White told MMAFighting.com. "The thing that's interesting about this kid is that he was the training partner of Daniel Cormier and claims that he made Cormier cry when they would train together. Not only did he say that, he said he broke him every time, and he said he would break him again next Saturday."

Cummins (4-0) is considered one of the brightest light-heavyweight prospects in MMA. The former Penn State University two-time All-American and national champion runner-up has finished all of his opponents in the first round. His manager, Ryan Parsons, claims over 50 light heavyweights have turned down fights against him since he went pro in Dec. 2012. He currently trains at the Reign Training Center with the likes of Mark Munoz and Chael Sonnen.

Cummins had been campaigning for the opportunity on Twitter from the moment news of Evans' knee injury broke.

"There's a lot of pressure that comes with trying to win a gold medal," Cormier told MMAFighting.com, "something that Pat wouldn't understand since he was only a training partner to me and Kerry McCoy. He wasn't the guy. I appreciate him stepping up and taking the fight, but we're going to see who's going to be crying after we fight next Saturday night."

Cormier (13-0) will be making his light heavyweight debut on the card. The American Kickboxing Academy fighter is 2-0 in the UFC, picking up decision wins over Frank Mir and Roy Nelson. He told MMAFighting.com Wednesday night that he was very upset he couldn't fight next week after working hard to make the weight.

"I'm very sad," he said. "It's very sad, because I've worked hard. So if anyone wants to fight, let's fight."

Patrick Cummins has answered that call.

UFC 170, headlined by Ronda Rousey vs. Sara McMann for the UFC women's bantamweight title, will take place Feb. 22 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/13...atrick-cummins