Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Jopo

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by riitzni View Post
Don't mind Jopo, he rarely has anything positive to say unless he's slobbering over Diaz's scrotum.
Not true at all but whatever makes you happy. I'm just not a zuffa apologist.

I also flipped out recently at how awesome Machida Weidman was and Lawler Brown. but I can understand how people obsessed with hating Diaz get tunnel vision with any comments related to him. I mean I think it's pathetic but I understand it.

Jopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
Kinku

Green Belt

Hope next year they have more Fight nights, they tend to be fun to watch.

Kinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Troublesome10
non serviam belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeykids View Post
PPV cards should not be watered down. Relevance only.
Free cards are a different story. Anything goes to build the new comers, to push potential stars, to put on good fights, and to simply have fights. But the Pay cards should be worth money.
UFC should go to HBO and Showtime, HBO and Showtime should let the UFC have their announcers
This is reasonable. STACK the PPVs, every time. The free cards are...free, and usually the up-and-comers don't fight as safe and are looking to make a name for themselves, and therefore the fights are exciting.

Matchups make fights, not names (necessarily).

Troublesome10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
RockUmSockUm

Brown Belt

vCash: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Arthur View Post
I for one am bummed that there's no card this weekend. I've gotten spoiled already, it wasn't long ago that it was 2-3 weeks between cards at least!

Watered down cards, watered down cards we scream.

Well, how the hell else are we gonna have 10 fights every week? You want them full of guys you've heard of?

It's literally impossible.

I know all the gamblers love it, amiright? Who doesn't want to get a look at some guys that no one else knows and get a read on their next bout?

So can we stop b*tching about watered down cards?
I was thinking the same thing, then I remembered that there was a card scheduled for this weekend, UFC 176. It was cancelled due to Aldo getting injured.

RockUmSockUm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
FightsFTW

Brown Belt

Yeah I always feel like something is missing when there are no fights for a weekend. Today doesn't even feel like a Saturday to me. Feels like a weekday. Guess I gotta find something else to do, maybe I'll do something productive on a saturday for once, lol.

FightsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #16
Scamrock

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublesome10 View Post
This is reasonable. STACK the PPVs, every time. The free cards are...free, and usually the up-and-comers don't fight as safe and are looking to make a name for themselves, and therefore the fights are exciting.

Matchups make fights, not names (necessarily).
Define what constitutes stacked. I think the reason ratings are down and people are bitching is because none of us can agree on what they should be doing. I think UFC 169 is probably the best example of what I mean. Two title fights, two more fights between top 10 fighters (one was a title eliminator), and a mid-tier barn burner. Sounds like the perfect stacked card. But the title fights were FW and BW, and the title eliminator was FLW. People bitched about it and it only got 230k buys.

For some people, stacked means top ranked talent and title fights. For some, it doesn't matter the rankings as long as it is big name popular fighters. For some, it is both. For some, it is one of those, but it has to be male fighters who weigh in no smaller than 155. Some people are even bitching about Silva/Diaz saying it isn't worthy of a PPV because it isn't a relevant fight.

It's tough to stack a card when everyone has a different idea of what that means.

Scamrock is offline   Reply With Quote