Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #161
RedRocket44

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloutonSang View Post
Agreed! They're in their mid-twenties for crying out loud, do you want to see them fight 5 times? That's the situation I fear we're getting into with JDS/Cain. Cain's last 5 fights JDS/Bigfoot/JDS/Bigfoot/JDS. Who really wants that?
I'm with this.

I truly believe instant rematches strip integrity from the sport, and from the winner as well. A polar opposite of this situation is Silva/Weidman. Weidman KOed Silva, and Silva gets an instant rematch? I don't believe that you should be awarded an automatic rematch based on past accomplishments.

That's very insulting to what Weidman accomplished. It's like saying "oh... well we think that was a fluke, so we're gonna make you fight him again... right away".

That being said -- there isn't another top contender with 20 straight wins ready to fight Weidman, like there is for Jones. Who else does Weidman fight? An aging Vitor Belfort? A relatively unproven Souza? Bisping? Middleweight really isn't exactly the most competitive division right now. Silva likely only has a few fights left in him -- UFC is going to be giving him the biggest fights to milk as much PPV money they can before he retires. That likely means giving him title shots. The biggest draw for Silva right now is pretty easily the guy who just beat him.

There is at least 1 fight for Jones in Glover -- if Jones and Gus both win early next year I don't see how Dana / Jones get around the rematch sometime in the summer of 2014. These guys are both 26 -- we don't need them fighting each other half a dozen times by the time they are in their mid 30s.

RedRocket44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #162
fzoid4454

Green Belt
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBiasJustMMA View Post
I am sure at times GSP has thought he was the best P4P fighter and he never talks like that about any of his opponents.
True, but I think Jones would say that about just about anyone. The point being that his stating that Glover wasn't ready for him (ironically, to defend his choice of fighting Gus against claims of "ducking" Glover) and fighting him now instead of rematching a guy he just beat via unanimous decision isn't horribly out of line or any kind of "Gotcha!" moment.

fzoid4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #163
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt
 
NoBiasJustMMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzoid4454 View Post
True, but I think Jones would say that about just about anyone. The point being that his stating that Glover wasn't ready for him (ironically, to defend his choice of fighting Gus against claims of "ducking" Glover) and fighting him now instead of rematching a guy he just beat via unanimous decision isn't horribly out of line or any kind of "Gotcha!" moment.
Why not before the Gus fight he said he wasn't ready, now he wants to fight him next when it seems he could have asked for Gus and gotten him as well since the fight was so close.

It's this quote that doesn't make sense, "I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight". If that was the case he would have wanted to fight Gus right away.

I don't think it's that big of a deal though because he will fight him again after Gus gets another win or two.

__________________
"All I guarantee is Violence" Wanderlei Silva
HW Fedor, Mir, Cormier
LHW Wanderlei, Shogun, Alex G.
MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #164
Lappish Shaman

Purple Belt
 
Lappish Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: at The Arctic Circle, Capital of Lapland
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainLeakage View Post
I am personnaly tired of instant rematches, so I'm very happy Jones is fighting Glover.

If both Jones and Gus win their next fight, we'll see Jones vs Gus 2.

Patience.
This.

First of all it was a solid win for Jones. So no need for immediate rematch. Glover deserves his chance.

What if Gustafsson would win the rematch? Then there would be number three as well. Not that I don't like the match-up but others deserve their shots as well

__________________
lay down your soul to the gods rock `n' roll
metal ten fold through the deadly black hole
riding hells stallions bareback and free
faking our chances with raw energy
Lappish Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #165
fzoid4454

Green Belt
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBiasJustMMA View Post
Why not before the Gus fight he said he wasn't ready, now he wants to fight him next when it seems he could have asked for Gus and gotten him as well since the fight was so close.

It's this quote that doesn't make sense, "I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight". If that was the case he would have wanted to fight Gus right away.

I don't think it's that big of a deal though because he will fight him again after Gus gets another win or two.
It's not "He's not ready for a title shot and isn't ready to get into the cage with me," it's "he's not ready to BEAT me" - which I guarantee you every fighter would say about every opponent they've ever faced.

So, no. As far as that quote, he's says mixed up stuff, but what I get from that is that he will be so awesomely sharp and dominant, people will STFU.

It doesn't have to make sense to us, just to him for it to come out of his mouth.

fzoid4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #166
dc007
 
dc007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,469
vCash: 500
He said he fights Gus after Glover. He's fighting him again. relax.

__________________
"I'm hungry. Let's get a taco."
dc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #167
Shonuff1980**
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyduccie View Post
Same here. I used to be a big fan of his. This is just too obvious what hes trying to do.
Fight Glover first then Gus? How could he!?!? Can all these threads with the same people crying about Gus not getting an immediate rematch/Jones hate be merged?? At this point, nearly everyone who dislikes/hates Jon deems it necessary to make an unoriginal thread dissecting every word he says/everything he does, it's pretty sad. Enjoy the fights, who gives a shit about anything else?

Shonuff1980** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #168
Nylonbaby

Blue Belt
 
Nylonbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 546
vCash: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainLeakage View Post
I am personnaly tired of instant rematches, so I'm very happy Jones is fighting Glover.

If both Jones and Gus win their next fight, we'll see Jones vs Gus 2.

Patience.
I'm with this guy ^. Everyone complains about instant rematches and then complains when there isn't one.

__________________
Cain - Bones - Weidman - Maia - Chandler - Curran - Faber - Benavidez

MMAbyJared.blogspot.com
Nylonbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #169
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt
 
NoBiasJustMMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzoid4454 View Post
It's not "He's not ready for a title shot and isn't ready to get into the cage with me," it's "he's not ready to BEAT me" - which I guarantee you every fighter would say about every opponent they've ever faced.

So, no. As far as that quote, he's says mixed up stuff, but what I get from that is that he will be so awesomely sharp and dominant, people will STFU.

It doesn't have to make sense to us, just to him for it to come out of his mouth.
He doesn't seem very good at putting his thoughts together, I liked what he said in his post fight interview but he says a lot of things that makes him look bad.

__________________
"All I guarantee is Violence" Wanderlei Silva
HW Fedor, Mir, Cormier
LHW Wanderlei, Shogun, Alex G.
MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #170
Dbreiden83080

Silver Belt
 
Dbreiden83080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bluffton, SC
Posts: 12,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipeAdam View Post
Again, have you seen the FIGHT?
No not at all. I like waisting what precious time I have educating dip shits like yourself who's google must be broken..

__________________
Fav Fighters

GSP-Good Luck Champ
Jon Jones
Bendo
Rich Franklin
Tito Ortiz
New Additions: Cat Zingano & Sara McMann
Dbreiden83080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"