Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
kingmike9

White Belt

vCash: 500
Icon1 Wheres the best wrestling camp

I was looking for a good wrestling camp to to go to for this summer that was in new York,Connecticut,new jersey or Pennsylvania. I know wrestling is a big base for mma and I've also wanted to get into wrestling for my schools team but I don't know where to start. My Boxing gym i have been going to does grappling but I was looking to expand and find a camp or a trainer that isn't really expensive so I could have more experience with wrestling for when I do sign up for the wrestling team.

kingmike9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Slabby

Blue Belt

If you are in that area?

http://www.serrabjj.com/

But if you are looking for straight wrestling, I'm not sure.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
kingmike9

White Belt

I was thinking about going to serra and it is pretty close but i'm not sure if I want to leave my boxing gym

kingmike9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
BBKAllDay

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
A lot of D1 schools offer 1-2 week wrestling camps. Maybe you can look into Cornell, Penn State, etc. if they have scheduled camps coming up.

When I was in high school, I used to go to Boise State's summer camps. They're a lot of fun, but be prepared to experience the worst physical hell for a week and a half.

Account bet with jk1234 (GSP over Diaz) <- I'm keeping this shit here until he e-suicides.
BBKAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
lts5025
"What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

Holy shit, I can use Google! Hofstra University, a nationally known program in wrestling, alma mater of UFC Middleweight champ Chris Weidman, and whaddaya know? Right there on Long Island.

http://www.hofstra.edu/academics/ce/...wrestling.html

Always supporting:

Carlson Gracie lineage ∙ Judo for MMA ∙ Penn State Wrestling ∙ Cageside MMA ∙ KO Fight Gear
lts5025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
CardonaLJ
HAWAY THE LADS

vCash: 3597
Quote:
Originally Posted by lts5025 View Post
holy shit, i can use google! Hofstra university, a nationally known program in wrestling, alma mater of ufc middleweight champ chris weidman, and whaddaya know? Right there on long island.

http://www.hofstra.edu/academics/ce/...wrestling.html
lmao.....

Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
lowsingle
Guardian of the Galaxy

vCash: 50
when i was in high school, local d1 colleges let me train with their team on occasion. one ended up giving me a full ride scholarship!

but you can regularly train with community college teams, usually you just sign up for it by enrolling in the school, and then enrolling in a "wrestling class", which is really just the team's practice. i got to train with Santa Ana College's team for 3 years in HS doing this.

I am Groot.
lowsingle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
styleten

Orange Belt

You been given practice advise but it isn't very good.

You can get trained by the hofstra coach in farmingdale. If you are from Suffolk please don't drive to hoffstra. Long island MMA is the club.

That should be run by Greggor. Another club under the same roof is Ryan needle. Dennis Bermudas trains wrestlers there as well. They train together. The best option i'd think is Razor Wrestling Club. The Razor club will have the best instruction and a year round training environment. Razor will have more of the people you have to compete against. Its filled with the place winners and champions of the county. If nothing has changed that is. The Coaches went to hoffstra, were all Americans on the high school and college level but these guys are matt rats. You can find them going from one club to another as they see fit. To mix it up.

Going to summer camp is good but it isn't the best option. You want to be in a club. Clubs train year round. its easy to learn what to do in a camp then stop when you get home. If you don't stop when you get home you will when the school year starts and you have to sit on your ass 8 hours a day then get another 2 hours of home work.

A club is the right way to go. 12 months a year. Twice a week is typical with people being sure to check in on your weight training which you will do on 3 days you aren't wrestling on the mat.

Razor wrestling club. Family owned. Multiple county, state and all Americans under one roof. High school and college level.

Vogar honors wrestling club. Vogar was a world champion. Trains wrestlers for both wrestling and MMA. One of his students recently one a regional title and remains undefeated. I believe Weidman comes and goes from there.

styleten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
styleten

Orange Belt

The instruction is important, more important is a group of people that train year round. Who all follow the principals. Who get along. Who weight train. Who Run. When you are at practice its important to be on the same page with what champions are doing when practice isn't in session.

When you have coaches that have coached dozens of all county kids that are currently in the club. When that is your goal. You know all around you are people following the demands that are expected of you. To get the same result.

Unlike high schools its easier to find all state wrestlers training in clubs. Clubs canvas 50-75 miles in any direction while a school district may canvas 10 on long island.

Check with the clubs i listed for price. Consider price, Traveling distance ( gas isn't cheap) and if you can't afford both boxing and wrestling. Consider what joining the 50 dollar pal boxing club can do for the afford ability of you doing both sports.

Last but not least. You you aren't dreaming of becoming an All American wrestler. If being all state doesn't matter much to you and you just want to wrestle.

You can cut your boxing to 50 bucks a year with pal.
You can cut your wrestling cost to something similar with a USA wrestling club.

styleten is offline   Reply With Quote