Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
jmsmma170

White Belt

vCash: 500
mma debut oct 25

so i made my mma debut oct 25, about 2 weeks ago in memphis tn. well i didnt do as i good i thought i could. i wasnt nervous at all. i was relaxed and ready to do what i trained for.my opponent was a supposely 1-0 striker so my game plan was to strike alittle and then go for a takedown if i needed to. well turns out he was a 5-0 wrestler and i got wrestle fucked. my wrestling aint the best but im decent , i just kinda went into survival mode and forgot basic escapes from the mount and he ended up rnc'ing me with like 5 seconds to go. the ref was telling me to do something so i kinda did stuff so he wouldnt stop the fight. it just sucks losing and im still thinking about it everyday. everyone says it dont matter , or who cares at least you had to the balls to step in the cage, etc..... i appreciate any and all critiques and advice. i learned alot from this experience and got lots of support from people but im still mad and embarassed about my performance. im better than that. even though the guy was better than me i still think i could have put up a better fight.

jmsmma170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
jmsmma170

White Belt

ill post the video once im allowed.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
bushidoman

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsmma170 View Post
ill post the video once im allowed.
Experience is key in everything. A lot of great fighters have losses early in their career to less than stellar competition. Take it as a learning experience. In this situation, you evaluated your opponent incorrectly and got surprised. I would say next time, if possible, evaluate your opponent more diligently and do more research to make sure you know your opponent better. Then you can come up with a better strategy and won't be surprised as much.

And you probably know this, but really hammer your takedowns and takedown defense a lot in practice. Find good wrestlers to practice this with. It doesn't do much good to practice wrestling against mediocre wrestlers in practice and then fight someone who actually has really good wrestling. It's going to come up over and over again if you continue to fight. It makes a huge difference in a fight when it is you that dictate whether it's going to the ground or not.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
bene3

Blue Belt

hurry with he video

bene3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
jmsmma170

White Belt

how many post do i have to do before i can upload it

Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
jmsmma170

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushidoman View Post
Experience is key in everything. A lot of great fighters have losses early in their career to less than stellar competition. Take it as a learning experience. In this situation, you evaluated your opponent incorrectly and got surprised. I would say next time, if possible, evaluate your opponent more diligently and do more research to make sure you know your opponent better. Then you can come up with a better strategy and won't be surprised as much.

And you probably know this, but really hammer your takedowns and takedown defense a lot in practice. Find good wrestlers to practice this with. It doesn't do much good to practice wrestling against mediocre wrestlers in practice and then fight someone who actually has really good wrestling. It's going to come up over and over again if you continue to fight. It makes a huge difference in a fight when it is you that dictate whether it's going to the ground or not.
yeah you are right. we thought this guy was a striker. man i was TOO set on him ONLY being a striker. i should have been more open to takedowns and striking instead of having in my mind this guy aint going to shoot on me.
also the gameplan went out the window. my striking coach said to jab and circle and dont say planted. HA i did the total opposite.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
jmsmma170

White Belt

oh yeah we got 2 really good wrestlers but they are smaller than me but its still really hard for me to defend there wrestling. one guy has like 10 fights and never been taken down and the other guy wins by his takedowns mostly, they are just 155'rs and im a 170 guy that cant cut to 155.