Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #101
JudontknowMMA

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
I don't watch much tv so it's been on when I turn on the tv for about a week. Not necessarily a fan or a hater, though.

JudontknowMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #102
LarsSwanson

Orange Belt

Agree on Jay and Dan being brutal. Ethnocentric of me, but I can't take the dual Canadian accents especially when they are doing baseball and have to say "out" 3 times on every highlight.

LarsSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #103
fandangler101

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimw View Post
What is this FS1 you Americans speak of?
Cute ass Eevee avatar ftw.

FS1 is the new 'Speed' Channel.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #104
king of theRing

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fire View Post
I miss turning the channel to FUEL (now FS2) and there always being UFC content on. Now everytime i check that channel theres race cars or some other lame shit. I dont even bother checking FS1.
The ufc content was tge same shit over and over. How many times could you rewatc h the same thing?

king of theRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #105
Dogstarman
Paredamaniac

Never understood why they have Regis Philbin on there. I can't stand that guy.

Dogstarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #106
iowamma2012

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller View Post
The ratings

Crowd Goes Wild on Monday ( 5-6 pm ) - 74,000 viewers

Fox Sports Live ( 10-11 pm) on Saturday following UFC - 476,000 viewers

on Sunday ( 10-11 pm) - 120,000 viewers

on Monday (10-11 pm) - 82,000 viewers

I think that is all the argument needed....

The only programming that is gonna earn them viewers is live sporting events. The big problem there is that nearly every major sporting broadcast has television contracts through the next couple years. The next one up is the NBA and that isn't until like 2016.

Wait, so viewership goes down from the one day when they had a show immediately following live sports content(on network launch) to 2 days when they go from a Weekend night to a Monday night? That's not a trend on quality, that's a natural trend.

Fox has plenty of exclusive content for sports. They are the Network leaders for MLB, NFL, Nascar, and UFC. Fox basically owns half of the Pac 12, Big 12, and Big Ten Networks and the BCS Bowl game rights for College Football. They own exclusive rights to Big East Basketball and UEFA Champions League Soccer. They have the World Series rights, and share the rights to the Super Bowl with the NBC and CBS(they get it this year). They got Golden Boy Promotions. Fox probably has the best TV rights representation for Sports in America.

You use a very small sample size to try to make a very large argument.

ESPN is an awful network. What was once a great SPORTS entertainment network has elevated the ENTERTAINMENT ahead of the Sport in importance. It is more biased than Fox or MSNBC news is. Non live content on the channel is unwatchable. Live content is slowly creeping toward that level. Most people I know watch it because there was no other viable alternative.

What I saw from Fox Sports 1 was a network that has some promise. When you have a major network jumping in head first they are going to try some things to see if it will stick. They have the money and time to be able to do so. There was good and there was bad but I thought the first show for Fox Sports Live went off without too big of a hitch. Whats important is did they try to tell us about Tim Tebow drama, TO suicide attempts, and "What if Mike Vick was White?" BS or did the reporting go towards actual Sports content. They went for Sports Content. The visual aspects, getting the personalities in line, and the set transitions can come with time. The integrity of reporting can not. Fox is going to do just fine as long as the big wigs at FOX keep up the attention. ESPN has some competition imo.

They definitely threw some things at us to see if it sticks. I was impressed with them using the betting odds in particular. I don't gamble on sports but they are trying things without having to go the direction of reporting on what Tim Tebow was wearing on Wednesday.

iowamma2012 is offline   Reply With Quote