Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #31
LiverpoolUFC

Green Belt

vCash: 171
I feel like if I try telling people how amazing and exciting ufc is, they just dismiss it as me trying to appear cool and tough because I like cage fighting.

LiverpoolUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #32
chaos_36

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
The interest has picked up with the casuals in my area after it kinda became the cool thing to do, I think having a decent video game out helped quite a lot too.

Page, Whittaker
Barboza, Bendo, Pettis, J-Lau, Cerrone
Aldo, KZ, Swanson
Cruz, Kid, Imanari, Barao
Dodson, MM
chaos_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #33
Chipley

Purple Belt

about the same

Chipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
mma midwest fan

Green Belt

After seeing a couple VHS tapes back in the 90's of early UFC events, I lost touch with the sport and thought that it went away for the most part. I thought Royce Gracie was the best fighter ever and the debate had been settled.

Flash forward to GSP-Serra (first fight) - I was in my hometown and friends told me to meet at a bar to watch the UFC. The place was packed and interest was high - people were watching it as if the local sports franchise were in a championship game. Today, my same friends no longer follow MMA (one of them thought Lesnar was still champ the other day), and I'm the one who got into the sport.

I think the problem with the sport is that a star builds up his brand, and then when he loses one or two fights, people think he's done for and they seldom latch on to the new champ in the same way. It's like boxing in a way, though the UFC name has more clout than a boxing promotion name. But what we're seeing is that while the UFC name is enough to get a portion of people always interested in an event, it isn't a guarantee of widespread interest.

The sport is no longer the intriguing raw experiment that it once was. It had an edgier underground feel to it - that these were just crazy fuckers who were willing to have a no holds bar fight for sport. The biggest criticism of the sport from the wider audience is no longer that the sport is too violent or white trashy, but rather that it's often boring or "gay" when grappling occurs.

I also think some super fight opportunities were missed with GSP-Silva, Jones-Silva and Brock-Fedor. I realize why each of those didn't happen, but I think it would have ignited a shit ton of interest.

mma midwest fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #35
Hotei

Purple Belt

It is about the same.
It was zero and it's still zero.

Hotei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #36
Bboy

Brown Belt

Definitely down. But casuals in my social circle all know about Machida for some reason. They also love the lower weight fighters.

Bboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
templewarrior

Orange Belt

vCash: 0
Same old story as most everyone else...back in mid 2000's...alot of people at work and friends followed it big time...Pride..UFC. Now...a couple of people at work might watch the biggest fights..seems no one really cares much anymore about MMA in my circle...work or few friends. Even my interest has fallen somewhat and I watched the first UFC on PPV.

templewarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #38
georgejjr

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaguy View Post
Around here it's still all about hockey. The big difference is that more people know about MMA today than 5 years ago, but it's still more of a curiosity for many people. A lot of people will go to bars to watch UFC PPVs, but more as a "cool thing to do". Most of my colleagues won't watch MMA.

When GSP fought Hendricks the bars were all full, but the place I go to wasn't even near full for Hendricks-Lawler.
Same out west. And the bar showing the GSP fights still had more sets (all but one actually) on the NHL games if it was hockey season than showing GSP.

MMA is tiny compared to hockey. Same as it was before.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
illegalnature

Green Belt

Believe it or not here in Charlotte, NC. We have insane amounts of mma gyms and tons of bars/night clubs with MMA fights. I know of atleast 4 MMA gyms within 20 minutes of me and 2 of them are directly across the street from each other. And I know of over 7 bars in the area that have host MMA fights on a regular basis and I'm not exaggerating MMA is everywhere here. We have a new gym that just opened up with a former UFC fighter but only had 1 fight as the head trainer.

But people here have heard of MMA but don't know shit. I had a guy 2 days ago talk about how GSP broke his leg in his last fight. I said you mean Anderson Silva? he was like I guess. Also in my last job the only other male working there had heard of UFC and said his fav fighter was Royce Gracie cause he is a Uber badass. So very uneducated.

Mousasi and Reem are my fav active fighters, I try to involve them in every thread I can.
illegalnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #40
Kylewood95

Blue Belt

Me and my buddy are hardcore fans, the rest of my group of friends don't really follow the sport but like watching the fights, especially the big ones with Jones or Silva.

Kylewood95 is offline   Reply With Quote