Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #101
Ruv

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Lyoto by murder in the rematch, too bad it won't be for the title.

Ruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #102
KarateKickbox22

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandar Adg View Post
Race card?

bubbie is a racist bigot. One of the worst posters on Sherdog.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #103
KarateKickbox22

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyronturner View Post
doesnt matter because the superfight will be machida vs gus
Gus vs Machida is a dream matchup for me.

Lyoto's footwork and speed would be too much for Gus.

Machida by UD or KO.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #104
Natman2939

Gold Belt

Location: In a small town, in a big country, on a floating oasis somewhere in the universe
vCash: 50
i always respect someone wanting to test themselves but the problem is Machida is just so clearly better suited for 185.

If Jones was his one and only big failure at 205, I'd be like "hell yeah!"

but he lost to davis (Agree with it or not, Machida wasn't good enough to make it a clear win)

he went to split decision with hendo (and rampage)

why not stay be the dominant champ at 185, as opposed to barely winning/losing split decision at 205?

on the other hand.. those are two really great opponents and he has dominated a lot of great opponents

Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #105
JayElectra
Paper Belt

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateKickbox22 View Post
Wrong. In this case, it does make him a warrior.

Lyoto is in a division that is much better suited to him. He isn't at a massive size disadvantage anymore. He is fighting for the belt..

He could stay at MW for the rest of his career and never have to fight Jones again. Everyone would understand that, and accept it.

Machida wants to fight Jones again because he is a warrior, and even though Jon is one of the biggest LHW's in the division, he believes in his heart that he can beat him. Lyoto could put it in cruise control and fight guys his own size and rule over his division, but no. He wants the biggest challenge available to him in the sport. And that is Jon Jones.

The most risky fight that Machida could ask for, and he wants it. That's a warrior. Don't try to downplay it. That is pathetic.
I don't know, if you want the term "warrior" in the MMA context to have any meaning or significance, merely saying you'd like a rematch against someone who has beat you in the past likely shouldn't be enough to earn the moniker. I'm not saying whether or not Machida is a "warrior" (he's a damn good professional prize fighter, that alone probably qualifies him), I'm just saying that expressing interest in a fight with someone that has already beaten you isn't really out of the ordinary in prize fighting. As for "Lyoto could put it in cruise control and fight guys his own size and over his division," he's done none of that yet. There is no risk in Machida expressing interest in fighting Jones right now because it isn't remotely close to happening, and in the best case scenario, it likely wouldn't happen for almost another two years. Machida is a great fighter, but you're making all sorts of strange conclusions off of some pretty standard comments.

-Diogenes
JayElectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #106
KarateKickbox22

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyst101 View Post
So he wants to drop like a sack of potatoes for a second time? Sign me up for that!
I think it's more like, he wants to punch Jones in his mouth and watch him run away as fast as he can with his arms stretched out again, praying for his life.

Pretty sad that a little guy like Machida had Jones running for his life after a single punch. Pretty pathetic, actually.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #107
Claude

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnitude View Post
Have you seen the list of killers at 185. Plus lets face it. Machida is top 5 at 205 if he decides to move up today. World Class elite fighter, tough fight in any weight class.
185 killer = 205 reject

Vitor
Machida
Sonnen
Bisping
Mousasi
Munoz

etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Meat View Post
Wouldn't even be different.

All Jon does is fight middleweights now anyway.
Nope he just fought Gus, and before that two guys who used to be full time LHW's and then dropped because they couldn't cut it at 205.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambammccoy View Post
In what world is LHW more stacked than MW?
In the real world.

This is pretty much what happed with 185: guys like Machida, Vitor, Sonnen, Mousasi, Bisping, Munoz, etc. were struggling at 205. Dropped to 185.

OMG, MW is such a murderes' row, so much better than LHW:

Last edited by Claude; 03-24-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote