Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #41
dieknowsore

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
finshes are always better. (not saying they prove who will win a fight more times on average)

having a fighter tap you saying "no more" or a ref jumping in to protect another fighter is more dominant than the judges saying you won.

"To be honest with you, if you're gay, you're gay. These dudes ain't even gay, they're just acting gay."
dieknowsore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #42
moreorless87

Red Belt

vCash: 500
A "GSP decision"? no generally no, a "Fedor/Nog decision" often yes.

moreorless87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #43
FacePlantingPro

Blue Belt

vCash: 11671
Fight game is all about exploiting your opponents errors during the fight.

Nothing is bigger than finishing your opponent by capitalizing on those errors.

FacePlantingPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #44
That209
Unholy

vCash: 750
It can be.

Everybody loves a finish, but being a fighter who normally finishes fights.. he can prove to people that he can go say, 25 minutes and win dominantly. I think it could be good for your career, it shows that you can do 5 rounds and still win and that you don't only rely on finishing the fight quickly.

Like Jose Aldo said, it's good to go to a decision sometimes so you can showcase all of your skills and prove that you can still win after a 25 minute fight instead of finishing them brutally.

If we're talking about Georges St. Pierre, it would be nice to see a finish, and even though I'm not a big fan of his style, the fact he goes 25 minutes and often just dominates his opponent and makes them look so amateur is pretty amazing.

Honestly, I prefer to see fights that go to a decision instead of a finish. I like long fights, I prefer them to be exciting, back-and-forth, and a good showcase of technique more than a knock out in the first round.

I also really like to watch two high level jiu-jitsu guys roll for 15-25 minutes and show how high level they are, making it a good back-and-forth fight. Joe Lauzon's submission over Varner is one of the most beautiful triangles I have ever seen. The whole scramble and Joe sinking in that triangle during a transition the way he did was really refreshing to watch. It's nice to see somebody pull those kinds of things off at this level of MMA.

Sherdog; the place where opinion = fact.

Cain Velasquez will go down as the GOAT.
That209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #45
Ramon Antonio

Orange Belt

vCash: 50
Let's imagine there are two fighters who both fought the same 10 opponents. Fighter A loses all fights by KO or submission early in the fight and fighter B loses them all on decision. I think we'd all agree both are bad fighters, but fighter B would be slightly better than A.

If GSP would have finished all his opponents in the first round, I'd also consider him a better fighter than I do now.

I think the problem is that some people view this discussion in the light of a fighters carreer or at least multiple fights, and others look at individual fights. If you look at individual fights ofcourse you're gonna find examples where a decision is better than a finish, but in general I think it's obvious that a finish ranks higher.

Ramon Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #46
Jocke

Brown Belt

vCash: 396
Not necessarily.

I do however believe that quick first round KO's while "cool" are not (usually) indicative of much.

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #47
Dreaming Dead

Brown Belt

Finishes don't always mean "exciting fight". Was CC vs Mir exciting before the finish?
Decisions don't always mean "boring". Was Sanchez vs Melendez boring?

"Not impressed with Michael Crocop" - I forgot his name
Dreaming Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #48
TSK

Brown Belt

No. This is a stupid new development that came about when GSP (one of the most popular fighters in history) stopped finishing fights.

TSK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #49
Paul

Purple Belt

ya.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #50
campbecc

Brown Belt

If you beat the hell out of someone and stop them no one will say it was lucky. The same way that people won't complain about a decision win if it is decisive.

campbecc is online now   Reply With Quote