Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #71
JudoThrowFiasco

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
A union is more than merely the collective potential for strike. If the system is working properly, there should not be a strike. I'm obviously not advocating for that. My interests are in seeing the best fights, not in having a lockout or strike prevent ANY fights from happening.

I still agree that the UFC has managed to eclipse the very sport it claims to be bolstering. I see this as the problem and don't understand your pessimism on this matter. The UFC dominates MMA right now, but things change. Things are rapidly changing for the UFC right now, their whole business structure is morphing and they are trying to bring in a wider audience. This will be a factor in the eventual change toward a fighters' union.

To be clear, since you've brought it up twice now, I do understand the difference between an organization and a sports league. I suppose I'm suggesting we think beyond the present system.
League vs Organization: MLB, NFL, NHL all have multiple teams, each with an owner. Think of them as there own business, all coming together to form a league. Unions in these leagues are designed to mediate points between the owners and players (rules, pay, etc)

The UFC isn't a league, the promote fights. AC's determine rules. Fighters union wouldn't work because it would have to incumbent all the professional fighters in the world, not just in the UFC. Also, unions work for "real jobs" because the government puts regulation on minimum wage, occupational safety etc.

Sports / athletes are entertainment / entertainers. They have no minimum wage.

I wish things were different, but the structure of MMA is one of such that unions simply would not work. It's far too independent of a sport.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #72
mirko>anyone

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetap View Post
(cough) fighter union (cough)
Nailed it. It will be the same 3 very vocal people (as always) that dispute your comment though.

mirko>anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #73
HIMBOB

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
Yeah... this was posted earlier. Looks like it. But he'll be ok.. he's a big boy.
He isn't going to die, but its going to cost him a decent amount of money.

He can handle that better than the undercard fighters but its still pretty shit finding out your next pay day got pushed back substancially.

Never forget the freedom fry!!!
HIMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #74
UJustGotChaeld

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirko>anyone View Post
Nailed it. It will be the same 3 very vocal people (as always) that dispute your comment though.
What does a fighter's union have to do with a manager not telling his client his fight is rescheduled?

(GSP has) established himself as #1. Over Anderson and everyone else. Including Fedor.
UJustGotChaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #75
badmofo32

Purple Belt

I used to do construction. The weatherman would often tell me if I had to work each day, not my boss. Cry more.

1: Bj Penn
2: Fedor Emelianenko
3: Shinya Aoki
4: Wanderlei Silva
5: Demian Maia
6: Royce Gracie
7: Lyoto Machida
badmofo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #76
lsa

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonetron2.0 View Post
That's really dumb on the UFC's part.
No, whats really dumb are that people do not read the thread before posting,
its already been proven that Moose manager got notified about it.

– Evan Loyd Tanner 1971-2008
lsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #77
FinBJJ

Brown Belt

vCash: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilrojo145 View Post
...... Is your sig a joke?............

..... or is there a plane of delusionality of which I have never even fathomed?...........

It's a joke on how both his wins over Silva were discredited by Silva fans and now there are people saying how his win over Lyoto was a robbery or that he almost got finished or trying to gain some moral victory for Machida.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #78
sandbag666

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflo View Post
Which would do what in this case? Force a promotion to hold a card no matter the circumstances or finances?
Are you joking? Even my dentist has cancellation fees if I miss or postpone my appointment.

sandbag666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #79
sandbag666

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoThrowFiasco View Post
League vs Organization: MLB, NFL, NHL all have multiple teams, each with an owner. Think of them as there own business, all coming together to form a league. Unions in these leagues are designed to mediate points between the owners and players (rules, pay, etc)

The UFC isn't a league, the promote fights. AC's determine rules. Fighters union wouldn't work because it would have to incumbent all the professional fighters in the world, not just in the UFC. Also, unions work for "real jobs" because the government puts regulation on minimum wage, occupational safety etc.

Sports / athletes are entertainment / entertainers. They have no minimum wage.

I wish things were different, but the structure of MMA is one of such that unions simply would not work. It's far too independent of a sport.
This UFC is more or less a single company. Each fighter is trying to stay working there as long as possible and get promoted if possible. These guys can't fight outside the UFC, no outside gigs, it is not a freelance thing. But yes, a fighters union needs to be industry wide, but that seems to me what would make it function.

sandbag666 is offline   Reply With Quote