Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
manji
Poo belt

vCash: 500
how many abs they have

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
The Mookster

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstar17 View Post
I would say itīs a combination of natural talents being displayed. Speed, explosiveness, coordination, endurance, ability to pick up new techniques quickly and other factors that I canīt think of right now.
aaannnnnnddd /thread

The Mookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Synapse

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torak View Post
There are many fighters about which people say "He is very athletic!" etc...
How do you recognize it? In standup and in grappling? How do you recognize someone is athletic?
I dont think it has to necessarily mean he is doing good, but what do you think?
Practically anything, depending on who you ask.

In the S&C world, the number one thing I'm looking for, and looking to develop, is force production.

Good athletes are able to impart a lot of force into the ground quickly, great athletes can do so in a variety of directions, and amazing athletes can do so while simultaneously managing other complex movements or changing direction rapidly.

Synapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
BSquared

White Belt

vCash: 50
A mixture of hand-eye coordination, reaction time, speed, flexibility, balance, strength, and endurance (both muscular and cardiovascular). It's a mix between muscular and nervous-system capability to move a body in a way that displays physical aptitude.

BSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
Got GOAT

Purple Belt

The best athletes on earth, imo, are gymnasts (which GSP and his team agrees with) and decathletes. As far as the very definition of athleticism, it varies depending on who you're talking to of course (it's subjective). I think that athleticism is mostly coordination, agility, speed, power, explosiveness, reflexes, flexibility and balance. I don't really consider endurance a huge marquee part of athleticism though it certainly belongs, same with strength. You can have extraordinary endurance (ie. a Kenyan distance runner) but not be the best "athlete", the same is true with strength. You can be one of the strongest men in the world (if not THE) and still not be a great athlete on that alone (ie. Mariusz Pudzianowski).

There some good to great athletes in the UFC. Some have already been mentioned. When I see guys like Aldo, Mendes, McGregor, GSP, and Guillard I see a high level of athleticism and not 'just' by MMA standards.

1-0 in account bets
1-0 in sig bets
Got GOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #16
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

vCash: 29000
Ability to change direction really quickly.

Be it from standing still to exploding forward or coming in and then backing out.

Explosive is ability to move things other than yourself quikcly and powerfully.

Never forget the freedom fry!!!
HIMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote