Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #61
Rhamnetin
Banned

vCash: 500
Fight should have been stopped in the 3rd or between rounds. Of course then we'd have a bunch of butthurt JDS fans saying it was premature stoppage and JDS would have knocked him out eventually, but the last two rounds were really unnecessary.

Rhamnetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #62
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightsFTW View Post
Fight should have most definitely been stopped right here, if not by the ref, then by his corner. Fucking stupid and irresponsible to let JDS get battered like that AGAIN after the second fight, especially considering the other beating was less than a year ago. I am glad Cain got the win and finish, but the more I see it, the more I get angry at the fact that neither the ref, doctor, nor his own corner stopped that beating.

On a side note, Cain is a fucking savage.
I don't think was the right point to stop it, up unitl it was clearly Cain winning but Junior was in there with a chance. After that bit I recall it being pretty much one way but no one knew that at the time.

Basically I think the group most responsible for letting it continue was his corner.

Never forget the freedom fry!!!
HIMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #63
KyouLose

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayt7hh View Post
Actually guys you can relax some. Adrenaline can cause short term memory loss, so it may not be all from getting rocked. It happens to a lot of fighters
Interesting, I haven't heard that about adrenaline.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #64
charlieyahoo

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyouLose View Post
And he gets shit for the towel being thrown in before that 5th round, but that's probably what JDS' corner should have done too. Gotta respect his heart and desire to go out on his shield, but he definitely took more punishment than necessary.

Out of curiosity, did you go the distance?
I did sir (luckily it was a 3rder). Gave the chav some lip about using knees though when I got my bearings straight!

Always supporting Frankie, Shogun, Cain, Shad and Hunt
charlieyahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #65
moreorless87

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMBOB View Post
I don't think was the right point to stop it, up unitl it was clearly Cain winning but Junior was in there with a chance. After that bit I recall it being pretty much one way but no one knew that at the time.

Basically I think the group most responsible for letting it continue was his corner.
Whatever came before though that was clearly a very bad knockdown that would have resulted in a TKO in most fights IMHO.

Even beyond the knockdown though I thought how out of it Jnr was when he got back up could well have gotten the fight called, he just about managed to survive but really did look helpless at points. That to me is different from matches like say Shogun/Hendo, Edgar/Maynard, Nog/Herring etc where one guy suffers a bad knockdowns but then mostly recovers within a minute or so, JDS was in total zombie mode for half the round.

moreorless87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #66
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless87 View Post
Whatever came before though that was clearly a very bad knockdown that would have resulted in a TKO in most fights IMHO.

Even beyond the knockdown though I thought how out of it Jnr was when he got back up could well have gotten the fight called, he just about managed to survive but really did look helpless at points. That to me is different from matches like say Shogun/Hendo, Edgar/Maynard, Nog/Herring etc where one guy suffers a bad knockdowns but then mostly recovers within a minute or so, JDS was in total zombie mode for half the round.
Your post made me think of 2 fights,

1, Carwin Lesnar, Carwins dished out way more punishment on the ground to Lesnar than Cain did to Junior. I personally think that fight should have been stopped but I am against the majority with that view, I think it being a HW title fight means they let it play out a bit longer than they otherwise would.

2, Thiago Silva Vs Matt Hammil, The third round Hammit was getting beaten to hell, BUT he stayed standing and offered an intelligent defence, much like JDS's it was not perfectly effective but they were still resisting in the fight. Another one that comes to mind was Gus rd 4 vs Jones he looked completely out of it, but he came back.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #67
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyouLose View Post
Interesting, I haven't heard that about adrenaline.
On the night I fought most of the other fighters couldn't remember chucnks of what happened in their fights.
When I watched mine afterwards on tape it was almost like I had heard the result but hadn't seen the fight.

Last edited by HIMBOB; 10-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #68
Stev3

Brown Belt

vCash: 126
Corner should of thrown the towel

Stev3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #69
oceanlife**
Banned

Why don't corners in MMA ever throw in the towel to preserve a fighters career/health? In boxing it's quite a common occurrence, but in MMA it seems to be frowned upon.

oceanlife** is offline   Reply With Quote