Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #181
Da Speeit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxxus View Post
Ah, you're correct. I was mixing CS Lewis and Tolkien. The theme is there, but the I screwed up the reason why.

Also, sorry to hear that the Serra brothers have had this falling out. Great reminder to get everything in writing when making serious business/career decisions.
You're still completely right, Tolkien was as religious as they get and his work oozed Christianity. Same with Lewis. The Magician's Nephew is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read.

3-8 (2) in owed apologies
Fuck Mumford and Sons
Def Jux til the Apocalypse
RAC
Da Speeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #182
Hard Charger

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Nick makes shitty gravy

Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #183
Free_MMAson

Red Belt

vCash: 5783
I'm sure IF (yes pay close attention to this word!) they were in business together as equal partners for that long even if there was no written contract then other family members like their mom and dad would have known about the situation, and would come to Nick's defense on this. Who knows maybe this might still happen as more of the details unfold.

In my opinion, IF Matt put locks on the doors of the academies, he probably had good reason to. Matt was the more successful Serra having a pretty long career in the UFC and even becoming the WW champion for a short snippet in time. Matt would have had more money earned from this, reinvested into the business, and the bigger name recognition to draw new students such as the new MW champ, Weidman. Not to say that Nick and Matt may not have started the academy together many, many years ago before Matt's success in UFC, but when there is a huge imbalance as to the contributions made by each party, the relationship can sour pretty quickly. I can imagine Nick feeling like he's contributed a lot more in his mind than he really did, and wants the recognition (ie money) for it, when Matt doesn't see it that way. It is a shame too, as it could ruin the relationships of the whole family too.

Free_MMAson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #184
Captain Obvious

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmonsta View Post
Ya, because I'm sure nick Serra is the mastermind in that camp that was the key person to help Weidman beat Anderson the first time. Derp
Yea he def needed a mastermind that told him to punch the guy when hes not blocking his face

such stratagah

Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #185
JonesBones
What I need is a good defense..

vCash: 45604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxxus View Post
If you knew anything about Tolkien and his adamant atheism before converting to Christianity and blah de blah you'd know a big part of the Gandalf story line is a shout out to Jesus.

The fact they're both briefly resurrected to finish some big task before disappearing into the clouds/distant happy lands is not a coincidence.

I'd also like to thank Gary Gygax for stealing the shit out of his college roommate Tolkien's ideas and bringing us Dungeons and Dragons.
Biggest difference between Lewis and Tolkien, which I find fascinating about artists in general. Is that Lewis was a thinker. Always a thinker. Even when defending Christianity, still thinking. Always the rationalist. Tolkien was a feeler. I personally prefer Lewis over Tolkien, but in general, prefer feelers over thinkers. Some of the best thinkers are feelers. Most artists are feelers. I am a feeler and know for a fact Da Speeit is too.

Off topic, but I just like the subject.

-Whitehead
JonesBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #186
Da Speeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesBones View Post
Biggest difference between Lewis and Tolkien, which I find fascinating about artists in general. Is that Lewis was a thinker. Always a thinker. Even when defending Christianity, still thinking. Always the rationalist. Tolkien was a feeler. I personally prefer Lewis over Tolkien, but in general, prefer feelers over thinkers. Some of the best thinkers are feelers. Most artists are feelers. I am a feeler and know for a fact Da Speeit is too.

Off topic, but I just like the subject.
Right in the feels

3-8 (2) in owed apologies
Fuck Mumford and Sons
Def Jux til the Apocalypse
RAC
Da Speeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #187
HOLA

Brown Belt

vCash: 26339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natman2939 View Post
Sadly, a lot of business ventures happen on the foundation of verbal agreements. This is especially the case if family is involved (which is why I would imagine----just saying IMAGINE..I don't know for sure obviously----that nick and matt might've started this business together and given the impression they were equal owners but nick didn't get anything in writing and thus now matt's changing the terms after the fact)

In my case it wasn't family, luckily. But it was early enough in my career where I still took people's word seriously. Guy was a cop, had this idea for some dumbass show about helping cops families but he didn't have any capital or any way to pay filmmakers to make a pilot for him.

So he, I (and my mentor at the time) came up with a verbal agreement: We'll do the work (we'll make the pilot) but instead of getting paid a simple fee, we'll be entitled to 50% of whatever the show makes (cause if the pilot was successful we were going to make all the other episodes too)

Long story short: ANY money this guy got for this thing he was supposed to split it down the middle with us 50/50. So he ends up selling it (the pilot and the concept) to a production company (who never even used it, they just put in their archives with plans to later remake it with a bigger budget)

and the motherfucker has the audacity to come up to me and my partner and give us 2000$ each (Cause that's what our fee was going to be originally before he told us he couldn't pay us and we made the whole 50/50 deal)

and we're like "uh....didn't you say you sold it for...50k? this is about 21k short, isn't it?"

and he looks at me like I'm speaking chinese, and starts in with this "WHAT?!? You said your fee was 2000$ each?"

and i'm like "Dude.....you couldn't pay us the fee remember? so we came to a 50/50 agreement remember?" and he starts shaking his head freaking out like "Wtf are you talking about? why would I ever do that. I don't know what you're talking about"

LUCKILY.... it turns out while I didn't have any of this in writing, my mentor was a very very paranoid guy...turns out he recorded the conversation (he was always had his camera with him, always rolling. He was a weird guy--later found out he kinda did the same thing to me on another project but it was okay cause I planned on paying him anyway)

So we took the cop to court and we actually won.
Jesus, the cop seems like a terrible person.

http://www.reddit.com/r/conspiratard/
HOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #188
lts5025
"What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Speeit View Post
Right in the feels
Get a room, you two.

Always supporting:

Carlson Gracie lineage ∙ Judo for MMA ∙ Penn State Wrestling ∙ Cageside MMA ∙ KO Fight Gear
lts5025 is offline   Reply With Quote