Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #41
BTzzzz

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
I don't even need to watch ufc with a women to know that GSP is sexy

BTzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #42
Bigj383

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaKingdom View Post
Probably no one. New fighters don't seem to have that legend quality to them anymore. Everyone seems like a cookie cutter version of each other. Just another hit for the ufc.
Legend Quality... When GSP first camr into MMA nobody was like he has Legend quality. People said he was a good fighter and a good prospect. Some may have even written him off when he lost to Hughes. People have to have lfought for a while to be legend quality. GSP didn't show up on the MMA scene selling 700-1,000,000 ppvs. Hughes vs GSP 1 did 40,000 buys, of course that was before the TUF boom. His rematch with Hughes did 500k, His fight with Serra just 400k, even his 2nd fight with Serra did 530k. It wasn't until his 2nd title reign when he really started being a massive draw.

The point being he didn't walk into MMA as a legend and a massive draw. He was built and marketed to that point. You can't tell by looking if someone is going to be a legend. Theu can have charisma but you have to win fights and you won't know who that is until they win 5 or 6 straight. Especially in todays UFC where the road to the title is much longer for many fighters.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #43
TM

Brown Belt

vCash: 200
If the UFC could get a Chinese champ it could bring a huge potential income since there is a big middle-class population there with money to spend. Beyond that I don't see someone becoming as big as GSP for quite a while. Jon Jones won't be able to match him, no matter what it says on his t-shirts.

TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #44
marvinparsons

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Carter View Post
Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier, Johnny Hendricks, Anthonny Pettis, Cain Valasques, Junior Dos Santos..

All of these guys will be around for a long time, and are pretty popular among casuals and hardcore fans. DC is probably the least popular, but I imagine that will change soon.

Robbie Lawler, with his style and appearance, has the possibility to be way bigger than GSP ever was if he can win these next few fights. I think he could be a mega-star.
Robbie Lawler can be bigger than GSP? Please don't ever go into marketing. Robbie Lawler has ZERO personality.

marvinparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #45
marvinparsons

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeliankoFan1 View Post
I would like to know how much GSP does outside of Canada to really gauge his status.

GSP was pretty much Mr. Canada and I would think most of his numbers came from Canada. GSP was not the most fan favorite fighter to watch in terms of his fight style so I would think it was probably his Candian roots along with his style to a lesser extent that was key.

Demographically you cant expect American fighters to replicate GSP who pretty much had Canada on stand by for every match.
Dude Canada is about half the size of California and it isn't like the whole country is watching because GSP is fighting. 98% of people here could care less about him. If you can't understand why GSP is a bigger draw than [insert generic fighter] than you simply don't get it and probably never will.

People love GSP for the same reason people LOVE Bruce Lee. Fighters that "fight whoever they give me, I'm going to mess him up" will NOT have that same appeal...think Gray Maynard, Hendricks, Lawler, Koscheck, and on and on. Those guys will only be mega popular if they are truly ferocious and scary, like Brock Lesnar. Personality wise they are not very interesting.

marvinparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #46
Lucifer Alpha

GSP rarely fought even when he was champ.

youtu.be/-u__jYLsnJ0
Lucifer Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #47
SnowBlynd
can bench 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Carter View Post
Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier, Johnny Hendricks, Anthonny Pettis, Cain Valasques, Junior Dos Santos..

All of these guys will be around for a long time, and are pretty popular among casuals and hardcore fans. DC is probably the least popular, but I imagine that will change soon.

Robbie Lawler, with his style and appearance, has the possibility to be way bigger than GSP ever was if he can win these next few fights. I think he could be a mega-star.
Robbie definetly has that it factor. Don't know that he could ever replace greasy but he could definetly be the man at welter.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #48
LiverpunchKO

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern View Post
UFC is dying. A white dwarf headed for a black hole. Its physics. Its inevitable.

Boxing will reign again as the king of combat sports. Great MMA fighters will have to turn to pro-wrestling for a second income, just like in the old days.
i actually think after floyd and manny retires, its over for boxing in terms of PPVs. guys like broner or ward can bring in maybe jones-like numbers but that's it.

"God, please grant me the serenity to accept the things that i can not change"
LiverpunchKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #49
Aza

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleazarI View Post
so who replaces GSP? It would have to be someone with explosive athleticism and sex appeal IMO
Sex appeal?

BARÃO IS YOUR MAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x3EACb1deM

Aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #50
Al Gorithm

Purple Belt

vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Alpha View Post
I guess you've never watched UFC with a girl before.
haha , yep !

One of my buddies wives acts like she's gonna cream her jeans everytime the dude fights.

Al Gorithm is offline   Reply With Quote