Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #61
vanzella
Brazilian Clean Sweep Belt

vCash: 500
let the overrating commence.

you people never learn.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #62
FacePlantingPro

Blue Belt

Guida and Edgar would lnp Pettis.

Maynard? Nah his fight IQ is too low to beat Pettis.

FacePlantingPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #63
Lint2

Orange Belt

The guy just turned champion and people is already like this?

Holy shite.

Come on, I like both guys, in fact they are quite likely one another, but hey.. Let at least Pettis successfully defend his title for 5 times before starting this hype train.

Lint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #64
Husmasa

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacizdabest View Post
I hear ya man. Not sure if you know this, but Edgar, Henderson, Aldo, Melendez are 4 exceptional fighters between 145 and 155 pounds (personally I would add also Money).

Aldo and Benson may be the most successfull of the 4, but the level is about the same. And is championship level, the best of the best, the strongest a human being of around 150 lb can become in fighting.

Then there is Pettis. He is on another level. It's like Jon Jones, it's like Fedor.

I think that Benson is still the only one who could beat him at least a little consistently (something like 3 times of 10).

Edgar, Melendez and Aldo would be destroyed. Money too.

Aldo would have more chanches if Pettis knee are really so fragile as they seem in these days.

There is more difference in skill between Pettis and Aldo than there is between Aldo and the top 5 FW.

Think about what happened to Benson in the cage with Pettis. Now imagine what would have happened to Florian or KZ.

It hurts me telling this but I think that unfortunately Pettis won't be able to remains at this level consistenlty, he's too prone to injury.

But he's a potential GOAT.
true bro, i would like to add that Not sure if you know this, but Edgar, Henderson, Aldo, Melendez are 4 exceptional fighters between 145 and 155 pounds (personally I would add also Money).

Aldo and Benson may be the most successfull of the 4, but the level is about the same. And is championship level, the best of the best, the strongest a human being of around 150 lb can become in fighting.

Then there is Pettis. He is on another level. It's like Jon Jones, it's like Fedor.

I think that Benson is still the only one who could beat him at least a little consistently (something like 3 times of 10).

Edgar, Melendez and Aldo would be destroyed. Money too.

Aldo would have more chanches if Pettis knee are really so fragile as they seem in these days.

There is more difference in skill between Pettis and Aldo than there is between Aldo and the top 5 FW.

Think about what happened to Benson in the cage with Pettis. Now imagine what would have happened to Florian or KZ.

It hurts me telling this but I think that unfortunately Pettis won't be able to remains at this level consistenlty, he's too prone to injury.

But he's a potential GOAT.

Husmasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #65
Break_the_will

Orange Belt

This Pettis hype is full on Machida retard level now. "THE PETTIS ERA HAS BEGUN!!" "HIS STRIKING IS TOO GOOD FOR ANYONE 170 OR DOWN!"

Sherdog never fails to completely overload the bandwagon and drive it off the hyperbole cliff.

Pettis is very talented, and has most of the skills to remain at or near the top of the 155 lbs division for a while assuming his injuries don't keep piling up. But lets take a step back, and leave the hype at the door.

Pettis has yet to defend his belt even a single time. He is 4 fights removed from running away from Jeremy Stephens, and 5 Fights from being UD'ed by Guida.

We know his striking is great if given space and time to get going, against guys who aren't knock-out artists. Lauzon nor Cerrone (dispite his hype) are top tier strikers, or fighters for that matter. They are Gatekeepers, and are only still relevant because they put on exciting fights. Neither Cerrone nor Lauzon will smell title contention in their careers. So although Pettis finished both in highlight reel fashion, lets put those fights in perspective. His only significant win is over Benson, which is a great win. Pettis may just have Benson's number... regardless Pettis clearly showed he has the striking and submissions to be considered elite. However, he still has not shown his strength or wrestling is good enough to not get manhandled again. Benson is not a great offensive wrestler, but was still able to tie up and control Pettis for the majority of the round.

Grant is a dark horse, who IMO has every skill needed to really test Pettis. I'm not willing to say Grant would or is likely to beat Pettis, but his size, cardio, chin, aggression, and wrestling make him stylistically an interesting matchup for Pettis.

Everything I said for Grant can be mirrored for Melendez, except he is a proven champion with elite submission defense and possibly the best chin at LW. Out of all LW's I see Gil being Pettis' toughest test.

Josh Thompson, Pat Healy, Dos Anjos, Maynard, and Miller all have skill-sets to make interesting fights with Pettis.

So to emphasize my point; Pettis is extremely talented and exciting but has shown glaring weaknesses. He has to smash through some of these stylistic touch matchups, to prove he is at the level of Aldo, GSP, Jones, and Cain (who have each faced and demolished every style matchup their division has to offer.) Until then, lets put him in the Weidman category, young & talented but unproven.

Break_the_will is offline   Reply With Quote