Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #31
MRT

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktagon View Post
I don't see how missing weight would excuse allegedly poor and biased officiating. A fighter misses weight and pays for it with a percentage of their purse and usually an agreed upon catch weight fight, not their (for the lack of a better word) right to a clean and fair fight with an objective ref.
missing weight doesn't excuse (or having anything to do with) the quality of officiating...quite true.

I look at it the overall picture though.

a purse penalty does nothing for the opponent who is at a huge weight disadvantage, so a little karma with a quick standup is fair enough.

honestly, people just need to re-watch the fight (on mute) and make up their own minds. IMHO, Goldie made it sound closer than it was, and Rogan that the stand-ups were worse than they were. Vitor landed more (and better) strikes overall, and Rumble was gassing with plenty of time left in the 1st round, doing very little while in Vitor's guard, with what little offence he mounted being blocked or missing...then Vitor beat on him and subbed him. Vitor's face reflects the one or two good shots Rumble landed that never had Vitor in any trouble.

so...do I want to see a rematch? not really. maybe if Rumble beats a few UFC-calibre contenders (with all due respect to his WSOF opponents, who are great fighters, but they are in WSOF right now for a reason).

MRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #32
Shocktagon

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT View Post
missing weight doesn't excuse (or having anything to do with) the quality of officiating...quite true.

I look at it the overall picture though.

a purse penalty does nothing for the opponent who is at a huge weight disadvantage, so a little karma with a quick standup is fair enough.
I get that point of view but TS made the assertion that there were shenanigans on the ref's part and people were condoning that. That's not karma. Karma isn't knowingly and vindictively doled out by people.

The protocol for how to work out the weight disparity is probably not comprehensive enough but I'm pretty damn sure letting refs screw over the heavier fighter isn't the way to go about it.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #33
99Silva

Silver Belt

Belfort off TRT yes Belfort on TRT no