Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Sarutobi

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Leg kick defense

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/11...ufus-interview

Seeing Silva/Weidman 2 main event and how it unfolded reminded me of this quote from Duke Roufus:
" Leg kicks are a cool thing until someone knows how to block it. When you know how to block it, he's the one that gets hurt, Aldo, not Anthony. "

This was referring of course to the Aldo/Pettis fight that didn't materialize. I guess more and more fighters will be aware of this technique. Not saying checking a kick is a new innovation but the technique/timing could be refined. I think KZ did it to Aldo on their fight and Aldo ended up breaking his foot. Something similar happened except it was foot that met knee/bone instead of shin.

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/08/jose-al...korean-zombie/

Sarutobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
manji
Poo belt

I think we've all seen that clip of the black guy checking the white guy's kick and the white guy's leg folding in half. Has to be one of the internet's earliest memes

Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
Jo Thaibox
Pocket Full Of Sunshine

My Kru always advised me to avoid initiating an attack with a leg kick because it's easier to see it coming so you always throw a punching combo first. If you're gonna initiate with a kick, do it to mid or body.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
GSP_37

Black Belt

vCash: 1183
Big diff betw know and don't know. Why didn't Marquardt do that vs. Saffiedine?

GSP_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Sarutobi

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Thaibox View Post
My Kru always advised me to avoid initiating an attack with a leg kick because it's easier to see it coming so you always throw a punching combo first. If you're gonna initiate with a kick, do it to mid or body.
That's good practice. I think Anderson did it in retaliation shortly after Chris threw one. I'm not sure but it was something like that. I'll have to watch it again.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
Fuzzybread

Orange Belt

I'm amazed at how many fighters don't bother to check leg kicks. It's like giving them a pass to spam the kicks as much as they like.

Getting one of my kicks checked is probably the most painful thing to ever happen to me in a sparring session (right up there with the time I got armbarred, my other arm was pinned under me, and I didn't verbally tap loud enough for a noisy ass gym). Even if your leg doesn't spectacularly break, you'll still start thinking twice before ending every combo with the low kick

Fuzzybread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
Jo Thaibox
Pocket Full Of Sunshine

Oops, I meant mid or head.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
Sarutobi

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP_37 View Post
Big diff betw know and don't know. Why didn't Marquardt do that vs. Saffiedine?
I'm not sure how prepared Nate was to Tarec vs to how Chris was to Anderson. I think it's well documented that it was one of the main things they've worked on since they've fought before.

Also by the way just to clarify my thread...I'm not saying leg kicker will always get injured if properly blocked but instead would think twice about doing it. Limiting their offence.