Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
DanaRousey

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenthorn View Post
If McMann wants to be in the Rousey conversation, she's going to have to not just win, but do something spectacular and impressive tonight. The silver medal can only take her so far. Her biggest wins in mma have been lay and pray (Akano), and wall and stall (3rd round of Bazler fight) decisions. Her UFC finish was over a German kickboxer who seems not to have wrestled a day in her life and then got cut from a division with hardly any fighters. Whatever one thinks of the stoppage when she got the title shot (unearned after dropping out of the fight that was supposed to establish her credentials as a contender) she hit the floor fast and hard. The UFC is giving a lot of different and new women opportunities in the division, and these title shots are going to be given to whoever produces finishes and fireworks.
Truth.

I also like McMann but she is definitely going to need a spectacular showing tonight.

DanaRousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #22
dbsh510

Green Belt

I'm a big Sara McMann fan but I agree that she needs to finish this fight, she's a big favorite going in and she needs to impress to get noticed by the UFC powers that be. For Christ's sake, they want to give Carano a title shot, it's all about selling fights and merit doesn't matter. Sara can 30-27 and put on a grappling clinic but nobody will care.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #23
Stew Fiore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift0036 View Post
The future LHW GOAT went from fighting in the co-main event to fighting in the Fight Pass prelims
You mean this guy?

Stew Fiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #24
grndzro

Blue Belt

Mcmann shouldn't look past Lauren Murphy.
I'm pretty sure Lauren is training full time and will undoubtedly be a better fighter than when she fought Nakamoto. And she is tough as nails.
And she has pretty good knees.

grndzro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #25
DanaRousey

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsh510 View Post
I'm a big Sara McMann fan but I agree that she needs to finish this fight, she's a big favorite going in and she needs to impress to get noticed by the UFC powers that be. For Christ's sake, they want to give Carano a title shot, it's all about selling fights and merit doesn't matter. Sara can 30-27 and put on a grappling clinic but nobody will care.
Kind of reminds me of Jon Fitch.

DanaRousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
Dbreiden83080

Silver Belt

That was such a horrible stoppage.. They were just getting into the fight when Sara went down for 1 second and Dean immediately stops the fight.. Rogan saying "The crowd doesn't like the stoppage but she was down and clearly hurt" Uh it's a fight not a sparring session people paid a shit ton of money to watch these girls throw down. Sara trained 8-10 weeks to get in there and throw down.. One hard shot should never stop a fight unless someone is laid the hell out Liddell/Rashad style..

GSP-Good Luck Champ
Jon Jones
Bendo
Rich Franklin
Tito Ortiz
New Additions: Cat Zingano & Sara McMann
Dbreiden83080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #27
skombolis

Brown Belt

LOL

How was she doing better striking in the first few minutes when she got KOed in 66 seconds?

And that fight went exactly how oddsmakers thought since Ronda was a -460 favorite

What holes did Sara notice when Rousey not only beat her with the weakest part of her game but knocked her out on just over a minute?

And the futhest I ever see her dropping in the rankings are to #2 not #20.

Its one thing to say she knows she was embarrassed and believes she can do way better and wants a chance to avenge the loss. That someone could respect. Or maybe she thinks she can hype her way to some rematch wolf tickets. Either way she comes off as crazy

skombolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #28
Dbreiden83080

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skombolis View Post
LOL

How was she doing better striking in the first few minutes when she got KOed in 66 seconds?

And that fight went exactly how oddsmakers thought since Ronda was a -460 favorite

What holes did Sara notice when Rousey not only beat her with the weakest part of her game but knocked her out on just over a minute?
KO'd in under a minute? She got kneed to the body one time went down for an instant and as the referee was stopping the fight she was popping back up that is hardly what I would term a legitimate KO..

GSP-Good Luck Champ
Jon Jones
Bendo
Rich Franklin
Tito Ortiz
New Additions: Cat Zingano & Sara McMann
Dbreiden83080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
skombolis

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbreiden83080 View Post
KO'd in under a minute? She got kneed to the body one time went down for an instant and as the referee was stopping the fight she was popping back up that is hardly what I would term a legitimate KO..
Reading comprehension and basic deductive reasoning

1) How could Sara be out striking her for the first few minutes if the fight was over in 66 seconds? The last 6 was of her crumbling.

2) I said just over a minute not just under

3) Exactly what holes in Ronda's game did she discover in the minute before getting finished?

4) And whether you consider it a KO is irrelevant. That's how it was ruled. Liver shots hurt. I think the stoppage saved her more pain.

5) Whether she agreed with the stoppage, her losing was hardly something people were not expecting.

Not sure what your opinion on the stoppage changes about the points I made

Old 08-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #30
Genghis84

Blue Belt

I'm getting deja vu here. Sara sounds exactly like Miesha after their first fight...

"I, personally, would love the opportunity to have a rematch," Tate protested. "I think at a high level, it takes one mistake. Anyone can make a mistake at any moment and someone's able to capitalize on that.

"I don't feel that Ronda proved anything other than what she's already (proved) -- that she has one thing that she's great at. Really phenomenal at. But everything else, I could beat her. Give me another shot. I think it was competitive. I think for the most part I was probably winning. And I think at a competitive high level, one day one person could beat the one person, and the other day the other person would beat the other person."

http://www.mmafighting.com/strikefor...trikeforce-mma

Ronda's response...

"I don't know what match she was watching, to really think that. One of those pieces of advice that my mom tells me all the time is, 'Never listen to your own press.' The second I got out of that cage, my coach was already telling me a million things I did wrong. It just seems tome like she must be surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" all the time, saying stuff like, 'Oh yeah, you were winning. You were totally dominating.' If I was her, I would look at that match, look at what I did wrong, and try to fix it next time, and not be like 'I was totally winning before I lost.'"

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/13...dumb#storyjump

Genghis84 is offline   Reply With Quote