Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #31
UD

Orange Belt

vCash: 152
It was all a work anyway.

WW: Johny Hendricks
LW: Benson, Khabib, Trujillo
FW: Aldo, McGregor
BW: Barão
UD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #32
Matthew Fedler
Amateur Fighter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswhiz View Post
LOL, like he would fly from Russia to Denver to compete in a sport that he didn't know, as if the Russian gov't would let their prize do something like that, and all for a measly $50k, which is about enough to feed Karelin for a couple days.
... Hypothetical...

Matthew Fedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #33
campbecc

Brown Belt

who was the best Combat Sambo fighter in the world at the time? It's the closest art to MMA so I'd favor them against someone who exclusively trained a traditional martial art.

campbecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #34
Lionel Mandrake

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLewis52 View Post
This is the matchup I would have loved to see. Tyson was a rare breed. Maybe one of the most dominating heavyweights who just intimidated the hell out of everyone. He was also a smaller heavyweight (5'11, 215 lbs) so the size difference wouldn't have been that much. I think Tyson was still in jail at the time so it never would have happened. Tyson is a big MMA fan and has gone to the fights with Dana. I'm sure Ariel or someone else has asked him how he would have done in MMA.
Quote from Tyson below
Quote:
"Well, in '93, I was in prison, so there wouldn’t have been a fight, but there is no way I would have won,” said Tyson. “I had no idea what was going on with that type of fighting and would’ve been taken by surprise. I would have had to train in that particular art of fighting before that happened. That’s a particular art. You’re not going to go in there with just your hand and not have a great ground game. You also need a great wrestling game to be successful, and you won’t be exciting, as well. You have to have both games. You have to know how to wrestle and box. That’s just the truth."
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Mik...arly-UFC-57851

Last edited by Lionel Mandrake; 02-18-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #35
Just The Facts

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLewis52 View Post
This is the matchup I would have loved to see. Tyson was a rare breed. Maybe one of the most dominating heavyweights who just intimidated the hell out of everyone. He was also a smaller heavyweight (5'11, 215 lbs) so the size difference wouldn't have been that much. I think Tyson was still in jail at the time so it never would have happened. Tyson is a big MMA fan and has gone to the fights with Dana. I'm sure Ariel or someone else has asked him how he would have done in MMA.
They have and he has consistently answered that he would lose, he knew nothing about groundfighting at the time.

Just The Facts is offline   Reply With Quote