Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
h0lydiver

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
they did something similar with piss (water content) tests when I was in college wrestling (not sure what they do now), but of course there wasn't an organization with big money on the line either if a person couldn't compete. oh yea, and people did get caught trying to tape bags of piss to their leg etc., pretty funny shit

h0lydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
Edgar Allan Hoe

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbag666 View Post
So to recap. You weigh in same day of fight so that you don't cut mad weight. You piss test before the scale so that crazy suicidal fighters don't try to cut anyway.
Why even bother with the latter? After the first idiot passes out from dehydration mid-fight the others will take it seriously.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #23
Sakurabinette
Saku belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofux View Post
That's a bad solution to a non-existent problem.
When he steps into the cage, your average fighter is two weight classes above the one he agreed to fight in.
That's a pretty big problem if you ask me. One that will have to be dealt with at some point.

You sign up for a fight at 185, you enter the cage at 185 or under.
Not as a heavyweight.

Sakurabinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #24
zerofux

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurabinette View Post
your average fighter is two weight classes above the one he agreed to fight in.
You said it right there. The average fighter. It balances itself out. The rules are the same for everyone. Weight cutting is part of combat sports, always has been, always will be.

zerofux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #25
sandbag666

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofux View Post
That's a bad solution to a non-existent problem.
60% of the time it works everytime.

sandbag666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #26
MOJO Fire

Black Belt

I say weigh in 24 hours before the fight not 30 hours before like a lot of them are, and weigh in before step in cage and just make in ring weight available to the viewers but dont worry about % gained or any penalty

Old 07-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #27
sandbag666

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by obroin View Post
The difference to me, is that if I was going to buy a PPV, I buy it on Saturday about an hour before it starts. I know everyone made weight (or at least, they agreed to a catch weight) and barring a Randleman/Struve incident, every fight is going to happen. If a guy shows up 12 lbs overweight now, we know the day before the fight actually happens if it is still on or not. I would be royally pissed off if I bought a PPV expecting a fight to happen, and then it got cancelled because a guy missed weight 5 minutes before the fight. That could ruin the UFC, and with it MMA potentially.

And does the fighter in the ring who made weight have to agree to a catchweight on the spot? That would be mentally jarring to me. And at least with current weigh in protocol, if fighter A weighs in 5 lbs over, fighter B has time to make up the difference during the day after, and the difference in weight doesn't mean much. In the new system, if fighter B had to agree to a catchweight on the spot, he'd actually be at the disadvantage.
I think you make a good point as to how it cause restructuring all the way down the line. Everyone says same day weigh ins dont happen for reason A or B but it might just be that the real reason is it would leave minimal time to fix a bad weigh in situation, and that time is needed so that the show goes on.

sandbag666 is offline   Reply With Quote