Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #41
lowsingle
Artemis Entreri Belt

vCash: 50
if selling it and pocketing the money isnt an option

-change the production to more like WWF (intros, personalities, pyros on entrances etc.) have the production coach them on "personalities" when outside of the cage (entrances, theatrical post-fight interviews). cut to people arguing backstage between fights etc.

-more freakshow fights and shelling out for TNA/celebrity/pro-athlete crossovers. i guarantee you getting shaquille o'neal, chad ochocinco or a b-list celebrity will sell more than ben askren. they only need to fight once to get visibility for the rest of the card

-put UFC 1 type matchups, some russian kickboxer with 3 months of grappling vs a NCAA champ with shitty striking. or a muay thai guy from thailand vs a japanese pro wrestler. those= the best highlights (since neither guy can defend the other) and when you see the most skill towards a single disciple

-have the champs/top guys take can-crushing fights 3-4x a year, and actual defenses 2-3x a year. so if you were to only see 3 cards, you would likely see guys more than once, not a bunch of randoms every time

-sign every heavyweight i can

I would try to make it WWF with real fighting and the "spectacle" element from PRIDE. if you tune into my promotion, you are going to see some shit

Entreri: They've often said that too
lowsingle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #42
You Will Move

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
push fighters over the brand.

increase production value/showy entrances/fighter themes

legitimize rankings by wins over popularity (title shots only for top contender)

promote job security among fighters, give health insurance etc. this camraderie will encourage fighters to fight passionately knowing they'll have a job if they lose.

better fighter pay to attract elite athletes such as olympic caliber wrestlers, etc.

big bonuses to encourage exciting fights. no win bonuses, pay fighters a set amount, but make sure its enough for them to make a decent living, and makes it so they fight with nothing to lose.

use a ring instead of a cage as it encourages stand up and is easier to see for attending audiences/better camera angles.

Last edited by You Will Move; 07-17-2014 at 01:38 PM.
You Will Move is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #43
sandbag666

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsingle View Post
if selling it and pocketing the money isnt an option

-change the production to more like WWF (intros, personalities, pyros on entrances etc.) have the production coach them on "personalities" when outside of the cage (entrances, theatrical post-fight interviews). cut to people arguing backstage between fights etc.

-more freakshow fights and shelling out for TNA/celebrity/pro-athlete crossovers. i guarantee you getting shaquille o'neal, chad ochocinco or a b-list celebrity will sell more than ben askren. they only need to fight once to get visibility for the rest of the card

-put UFC 1 type matchups, some russian kickboxer with 3 months of grappling vs a NCAA champ with shitty striking. or a muay thai guy from thailand vs a japanese pro wrestler. those= the best highlights (since neither guy can defend the other) and when you see the most skill towards a single disciple

-have the champs/top guys take can-crushing fights 3-4x a year, and actual defenses 2-3x a year. so if you were to only see 3 cards, you would likely see guys more than once, not a bunch of randoms every time

-sign every heavyweight i can

I would try to make it WWF with real fighting and the "spectacle" element from PRIDE. if you tune into my promotion, you are going to see some shit
Totally good idea from business perspective. I went in the other direction but yours is another good angle.

sandbag666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #44
MestizoIV

Brown Belt

make fun freak show fights like PRIDE. Theres no way u can argue that the talent in Bellator is the same as the UFC. So why fight it? make exciting matchups & fights the fans wanna see to get the casual MMA fan engaged. they don't know who's talented or not, they jus kno names. Why do u think Kimbo is so popular?

WW: Ellenberger
LW: Grant
FW: KZ
BW: Wineland
FLW: Horiguchi
WBW: Miesha
WSW: Tecia
MestizoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #45
lowsingle
Artemis Entreri Belt

ultimately, what we've seen is that people don't buy a card because the fighters are skilled

people buy cards because theyre emotionally invested in the outcome of a particular fight or a fighter. people bought GSP fights because they wanted to see GSP win/lose. people bought brock cards because they were emotionally invested in the outcome of the fight. people paid to see kimbo, because they really wanted to see if youtube backyard brawling would be effective. in the NFL playoffs, people were talking about manning and brady's storylines, or kaep and wilson. most people werent discussing the actual ins and outs of the game

no matter how skilled he is, nobody buys mightymouse cards because people don't care if he wins or loses. nobody buys cards with names they dont know, because they dont care about the outcome, even if they fights are violent/skilled etc.

making people care about individual fighters would be the #1 MOST IMPORTANT thing you could do. people buy pro-wrestling PPVs, JUST because theyre so hooked on finding out if "their guy" wins. so you need to figure out how to make fans invested in fighters, whether its because theyre exciting, skilled, run their mouth all the time, whatever. I think the WWF model is the best, because they are able to sell just off of this effect, with no real fights. but however you do it, thats the goal

Old 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #46
Z28MARO

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisestrad View Post
It's spelled "strikers".
Nice one lol. Meant strippers.

Z28MARO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #47
Apollo Creed
BAKA SURVIVOR!!!

I would make everyone fight in Marlon Sandro's walkout attire.

-Me
Apollo Creed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #48
sandbag666

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsingle View Post
ultimately, what we've seen is that people don't buy a card because the fighters are skilled

people buy cards because theyre emotionally invested in the outcome of a particular fight or a fighter. people bought GSP fights because they wanted to see GSP win/lose. people bought brock cards because they were emotionally invested in the outcome of the fight. people paid to see kimbo, because they really wanted to see if youtube backyard brawling would be effective. in the NFL playoffs, people were talking about manning and brady's storylines, or kaep and wilson. most people werent discussing the actual ins and outs of the game

no matter how skilled he is, nobody buys mightymouse cards because people don't care if he wins or loses. nobody buys cards with names they dont know, because they dont care about the outcome, even if they fights are violent/skilled etc.

making people care about individual fighters would be the #1 MOST IMPORTANT thing you could do. people buy pro-wrestling PPVs, JUST because theyre so hooked on finding out if "their guy" wins. so you need to figure out how to make fans invested in fighters, whether its because theyre exciting, skilled, run their mouth all the time, whatever. I think the WWF model is the best, because they are able to sell just off of this effect, with no real fights. but however you do it, thats the goal
True but the problem is most people cant get emotionally invested in WWE matches because they know it is 100% drama, 0% Combat. So you have to go more world cup style and have both the taking of sides and the skill.

sandbag666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #49
You Will Move

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbag666 View Post
True but the problem is most people cant get emotionally invested in WWE matches because they know it is 100% drama, 0% Combat. So you have to go more world cup style and have both the taking of sides and the skill.
this guy disagrees

Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #50
lowsingle
Artemis Entreri Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbag666 View Post
world cup style did work here in america, we dont even like soccer but everyone was freaking out when "our team" was doing well. people dont care about the game as much as they care about the outcome...