Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #81
Jackie Blue
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansy View Post
i never get why, other than dana, trashes maz for the DQ vs jbj. dana because he is a promoter and a hypocrite, but why others (if they have)?
jbj did throw those illegal ellbows and continued to do so after being warned -> correct decision.

maz had some big errors, but so do other ref. still think maz is on the lower tier, there are definitely better refs.
Not true. Jones threw two 12-to-6 elbows and Mazzigatti was right on top of them, saw it, and stepped in right away. He warned Jones and asked Hamill if he could continue. Unfortunately, Hamill is completely deaf and solely relies on lip reading and sign language for communication. He couldn't communicate with Mazzigatti or anyone else at the time because both of his eyes were swollen shut and covered in blood from the brutal beating that Jones had laid on him (almost exclusively with legal blows). So unfortunately, since the ref couldn't communicate with Hamill as to whether he could continue and the action had been stopped on illegal blows, the fight had to be stopped and ruled a disqualification.

Jackie Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #82
Jackie Blue
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyantist View Post

lets not get started on Rosenthal. Dude does a wicked Urijah Faber impersonation though.
That was his worst call by far. Usually, he's good. Unfortunately, he did stop a few fights too late, especially that one. Which is bad. But I like that he gives guys chances to defend themselves like in the Brock-Shane fight.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #83
Jackie Blue
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Silva View Post
On Jones/Hamill:

"(Jones) hip throws Hamill to the ground, starts unloading with elbows. I wasn't concerned. Hamill was blocking those, he had a four-wall defense. We've seen it before, these guys will unload everything they got because they think they've got the other guy hurt, and the guy all of a sudden comes up and beats the crap out of the guy because he's gassed or he hurt his hands trying to punch him out.

Exactly what I thought Mazzaghatti was thinking...you could tell it in his demeanor...there are a couple of things wrong with that. First of all he said: "I wasn't concerned". Meaning himself. Second of all he assumes that because in other fights guys threw everything they had and then tired themselves out he actually thought Jones was going to do that and LOSE.

It's clear and simple that this guy is bad for the sport. If I were a fighter I would never want him as my ref.
I agree. Hamill was getting destroyed by Jones in that fight, way before the last two illegal elbows. Jones was rag dolling Hamill and injured his shoulder with a throw. He had full mount and was blasting Hamill with punches and elbows. Hamill's face looked like hamburger meat in that fight. Mazzagatti sounds delusional here thinking that Hamill was blocking most of those shots and not being concerned at all, and that Hamill could come back and beat Jones after Jones "gassed" from beating the tar out of him.

You could see the same mentality being displayed in the Fitch-Burkman fight. Mazz basically assumed that there was no way that Burkman would submit Fitch and just casually glanced over the action from a distance. But that choke was tight as fuck and Burkman isn't the same fighter he used to be (nor is Fitch, apparently). I know Fitch is tough as fuck and has worked his way out of a lot of good submission attempts, but a sense of urgency was needed on the ref's part. Thank God that Burkman didn't keep cranking that shit after Fitch was already out and stopped on his own volition. That could have gotten ugly.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #84
The Real Pedro

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
I'm not dissecting anything. I'm taking Hamill's word that the primary reason he couldn't continue was the separated shoulder from the legal throw that Jones executed on him. Mazzagatti didn't immediately disqualify Jones. He initially took a point, but decided to wave off the fight after verbally asking Hammil (who had his eyes closed) whether or not he could continue. Hamill also said that he stayed down when the action was stopped because assumed that he'd been TKO'd.

It was shit officiating.

I understand that you were only providing info from what Hamill said, but my point was that such information wasn't useful in real time. Do you think Mazzagatti should have interviewed Hamill and ascertained why he couldn't continue? ("Mazzagatti: Look Matt, I know you're done for the night, but was it the elbows that finished you?")

There were illegal strikes, they caused damage, and the fighter couldn't continue. It was a very straightforward decision from a rules stand point.

That it was Hamill's shoulder that was damaged is interesting in an academic sense, but it has nothing to do with the ref's decision in the heat of the moment. It was good officiating. Criticize Mazzagatti all you want, but he made the right call in this case.

Favorite fighters
SHW: Zhang Fei
HW: Gilgamesh
LHW: Beowulf
MW: Hector
WW: John Carter
LW: King David
FW: Wiglaf
BW: Cuchulain of Muirthemne
FLW: Baldwin IV of Jerusalem
The Real Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote