Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #41
Kenro199x

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick View Post
I wouldn't say that... Wand is still dangerous, and who knows if he comes in clean? He did KO Stann after all, and we thought he was all washed up then.
He Ko'd Stann who decided to not wrestle him and go out swinging. No strategy was used on his part. Luke will finish Wand either standing or will be the first to sub him. If Wand does win I'll be pleasantly surprised but I find that outcome highly unlikely.

Kenro199x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #42
moreorless87

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenro199x View Post
He Ko'd Stann who decided to not wrestle him and go out swinging. No strategy was used on his part. Luke will finish Wand either standing or will be the first to sub him. If Wand does win I'll be pleasantly surprised but I find that outcome highly unlikely.
Seems highly unlikely to be considering that Wanderlei rolled with Yoshida, Sakuraba and Arona without being in any danger, he'd need to be either very gassed or badly hurt for Rockhold to sub him IMHO.

Wanderlei is still a bit of a wild card, certainly KOable by many these days and arguably without the cardio to go long but still with a lot of power and finishing ability himself.

moreorless87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #43
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick View Post
I think you've undersold Rockhold a little bit.
Maybe but stylistically he's an easier match up for Wanderlei than a grappler with good takedowns like Kennedy, Jacare or Weidman and he's an easier match up for Wanderlei than a striker like Machida, Anderson, Vitor or Mousasi.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #44
RockShox1

Orange Belt

Easy fight for Rockhold

Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #45
1strikeclothing

Red Belt

wont have a chance against luke

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1strike_mma/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

PM for http://www.virusintl.com/index.html discounts.
1strikeclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #46
That209
Remember My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBiasJustMMA View Post
I really don't see that at all. Rockhold is a grappler with really bad takedowns and good kick boxing but low KO power, he's like Michael Bisping but better grappling worse hands and better kicks, he seems like the easiest match up in the top 10 for Wanderlei at MW.

What makes you think Rockhold is the worst match up for Wanderlei of the top 10 MWs?
His TD's aren't that bad.

He's obviously no Chris Weidman but if he can take Wanderlei down then he could be in a lot of trouble.

Wanderlei obviously isn't easy to submit, we all know that based on his record since he's never been submitted in nearly 50 fights. But Rockhold (as we all know) is a very high level grappler, has some very good submissions and even if he can't submit Wand - he can definitely control him there. Wand has always done well off of his back defensively and he's also pretty good at getting back to his feet. Wanderlei's TDD is decent, I think it would be pretty tough for Rockhold to take him down early in the fight and since Wand will be well-prepared for a dangerous grappler like Rockhold, his TDD will likely be on point, or at least we can hope it is.

On the feet - his hands truly aren't that bad. Yes, his kicks are very good but the way he mixes it up with his punches & kicks is awesome. I think Rockhold would be able to move in-and-out with straight punches due to his reach advantage and I think he'd constantly land low kicks because Wand's stance is very susceptible to it.

Of course, Wand has been practising Muay Thai since the very start of his career, he's been doing it for a long time - he's seen it all. So, since he will likely prepare for a guy who is known for good kicks (Rockhold), he will likely check a lot of low kicks, if Rockhold even goes for them.

Personally, I think Rockhold's reach advantage (although it's only like a 3 inch difference) and because he knows how to fight tall, he would give Wand a lot of trouble on the feet and I wouldn't be surprised if Rockhold hurt him with something and possibly got a TKO.

Rockhold's striking is actually pretty damn good, he can hang in there with some of the best in my opinion. I won't be surprised if somebody mentions his fight against Vitor since I said that, but let's be real - Vitor has been destroying everybody with ease lately. He made Henderson look like he's never fought in his entire life and Hendo is a fucking beast, even at this age the guy is still able to hang with some of the best, win/lose, Hendo usually puts up a great fight, unless it's Daniel Cormier..

It's just my opinion though - I personally just think Rockhold is one of the tougher matches for Wanderlei, stylistically speaking. I wouldn't count Wanderlei out, of course, the guy is still a bad bastard and is still capable of beating some legit top 10 guys whether it's in the MW or LHW division. I think Rockhold would pick Wanderlei apart all night, or possibly finish him via hurting him on the feet (whether it be from a punch or kick) and then follow it up with some GnP to get the TKO stoppage. You never know what will happen, but you can't sleep on Rockhold's boxing, I'm more than positive he can hang in there with Wanderlei with just punches alone, he's no slouch. He's a pretty damn good striker in my opinion, he isn't Gegard Mousasi when it comes to boxing, but he can definitely stand and box with Wanderlei and get the win, Rockhold is constantly showing improvement every time he gets in the cage.

I'll actually be surprised if you, or anybody for that matter even read this. Seems most MMA fans can't read more than 2-3 sentences without losing their mind.

That is all, Mr. NoBiasJustMMA. That is all.

Last edited by That209; 07-14-2014 at 12:56 PM.
That209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #47
ufcfan4
Can't Andle The Riddum

Why not do Rockhold vs. Akiyama instead...

ufcfan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #48
bjjwar

Brown Belt

Wand wants to fight Vitor or Rockhold but is supposedly afraid of Chael.I love Sonnen's fans.

bjjwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #49
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by That209 View Post
His TD's aren't that bad.

He's obviously no Chris Weidman but if he can take Wanderlei down then he could be in a lot of trouble.

Wanderlei obviously isn't easy to submit, we all know that based on his record since he's never been submitted in nearly 50 fights. But Rockhold (as we all know) is a very high level grappler, has some very good submissions and even if he can't submit Wand - he can definitely control him there. Wand has always done well off of his back defensively and he's also pretty good at getting back to his feet. Wanderlei's TDD is decent, I think it would be pretty tough for Rockhold to take him down early in the fight and since Wand will be well-prepared for a dangerous grappler like Rockhold, his TDD will likely be on point, or at least we can hope it is.

On the feet - his hands truly aren't that bad. Yes, his kicks are very good but the way he mixes it up with his punches & kicks is awesome. I think Rockhold would be able to move in-and-out with straight punches due to his reach advantage and I think he'd constantly land low kicks because Wand's stance is very susceptible to it.

Of course, Wand has been practising Muay Thai since the very start of his career, he's been doing it for a long time - he's seen it all. So, since he will likely prepare for a guy who is known for good kicks (Rockhold), he will likely check a lot of low kicks, if Rockhold even goes for them.

Personally, I think Rockhold's reach advantage (although it's only like a 3 inch difference) and because he knows how to fight tall, he would give Wand a lot of trouble on the feet and I wouldn't be surprised if Rockhold hurt him with something and possibly got a TKO.

Rockhold's striking is actually pretty damn good, he can hang in there with some of the best in my opinion. I won't be surprised if somebody mentions his fight against Vitor since I said that, but let's be real - Vitor has been destroying everybody with ease lately. He made Henderson look like he's never fought in his entire life and Hendo is a fucking beast, even at this age the guy is still able to hang with some of the best, win/lose, Hendo usually puts up a great fight, unless it's Daniel Cormier..

It's just my opinion though - I personally just think Rockhold is one of the tougher matches for Wanderlei, stylistically speaking. I wouldn't count Wanderlei out, of course, the guy is still a bad bastard and is still capable of beating some legit top 10 guys whether it's in the MW or LHW division. I think Rockhold would pick Wanderlei apart all night, or possibly finish him via hurting him on the feet (whether it be from a punch or kick) and then follow it up with some GnP to get the TKO stoppage. You never know what will happen, but you can't sleep on Rockhold's boxing, I'm more than positive he can hang in there with Wanderlei with just punches alone, he's no slouch. He's a pretty damn good striker in my opinion, he isn't Gegard Mousasi when it comes to boxing, but he can definitely stand and box with Wanderlei and get the win, Rockhold is constantly showing improvement every time he gets in the cage.

I'll actually be surprised if you, or anybody for that matter even read this. Seems most MMA fans can't read more than 2-3 sentences without losing their mind.

That is all, Mr. NoBiasJustMMA. That is all.

His takedowns seem pretty damn bad, I have only ever seen him get 1 against Kennedy, actually I just looked it up and he's only ever gotten 1 takedown.

I would like this explained, I've read your whole post and you still don't explain how Rockhold is a difficult match up for Wanderlei. IMO he seems like the easiest match up of the top guys for Wanderlei who's always had the most trouble with guys that can take a lot of damage and can dish it out or are more technical strikers like a Franklin or a Cro Cop, I just don't think Rockhold's striking is as good as theirs are and his takedowns aren't good enough to get Wanderlei down and keep him down.

Of the guys that Wanderlei has fought Rockhold seems the most similar to Bisping to me, the easiest match up you can give Wanderlei is a grappler with bad takedowns and good but not great stand up with low KO power.

I think the 3 most likely outcomes of this fight are Wanderlei by TKO/KO, or it will turn out like the Bisping fight where the rounds are close but Rockhold is almost finished multiple times and loses a UD or like the Franklin fight where Rockhold will get badly hurt in one of the 3 rounds but eeks out the other two.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #50
jmadtx

Black Belt

vCash: 1850
lol.

jmadtx is offline   Reply With Quote