Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Cygnus-X

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Cardio performance can drop quite rapidly when not maintained and go back to base levels. However, you can also build it up from scratch quite fast.

Unlike strength which is built very slowly but causes permanent changes in your body so that even when you've had a long layoff and is considerably weaker the body will actually rebuild you to your former level quite fast.

Cygnus-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
dcosmar

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop dogg View Post
to be honest nerves can effect cardio. I remember when I wrestled in middle school I would train cardio so hard and gas in my matches. The reason was that my nerves got to me. now that im older and learned to control this, its not really an issue.

but when a fighter has a long layoff, he is no longer desensitized to the "octagon jitters"
i was thinking this too. it might just be the adrenaline dump that creates the gassing. ive heard people say that if you are regularly active and fighting in competitions you get better at handling the adrenaline of the fight. i think thats why some mma guys still compete in gi and no gi bjj competitions to keep the fight exposure up while not risking the same injury as a cage fight.