Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #61
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulkrusher View Post
Not a chance! He got clowned on the feet hard against silva. He might have close to the same ko power that's debatable but hand speed easily goes to silva.

Vitor is a different fighter than silva and I actually think he matches up decently against weidman. I think his aggression and coming foward style of fighting as well as physical strength present problems that silva didn't. His cardio still is a ? But so is weidmans, so i would call that a wash. And based off of his fight with jones I would say that vitor is in fact mentally stronger than he was earlier in his career.
Why? Vitor seems to have quicker hands to me when I see him throw punches. Vitor's timing isn't as good and his reach isn't as long so he doesn't land as cleanly but his hands clearly look faster to me. I also think Vitor has more 1 punch KO power because he has hurt people with grazing shots and while Anderson has a good amount of KOs he normally gets them off of counters and/or creates a collision to get them like the Forrest KO.

I agree with the rest of your post.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #62
godexile

Orange Belt

vCash: 460
i'l bet you anything Weidman wouldn't get past vitor or jacare, Vitor on trt and in current state is much better than Weidman, better standup, better ground game. Only person that can beat Belfort is silva.

godexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #63
Soulkrusher

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBiasJustMMA View Post
Why? Vitor seems to have quicker hands to me when I see him throw punches. Vitor's timing isn't as good and his reach isn't as long so he doesn't land as cleanly but his hands clearly look faster to me. I also think Vitor has more 1 punch KO power because he has hurt people with grazing shots and while Anderson has a good amount of KOs he normally gets them off of counters and/or creates a collision to get them like the Forrest KO.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Well the basis of my opinion is that he is easily able to counter even well having his hands at his hips. He seems to he able to land on whoever however he pleases, vitor included. It's all subjective I suppose, a matter of opinion really. Both have excellent speed.

I am very curious to see either jacare or belfort against weidman as opposed to silva. I think weidman might have silva's # and I think the other two present interesting challenges for the current champ, especially jacare due to his ground game.

Soulkrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #64
JKS

Titanium Belt

Gotta go with Anderson.....better guard

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #65
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulkrusher View Post
Well the basis of my opinion is that he is easily able to counter even well having his hands at his hips. He seems to he able to land on whoever however he pleases, vitor included. It's all subjective I suppose, a matter of opinion really. Both have excellent speed.

I am very curious to see either jacare or belfort against weidman as opposed to silva. I think weidman might have silva's # and I think the other two present interesting challenges for the current champ, especially jacare due to his ground game.
Except Weidman, which I think a lot of that had to do with the angles he used and his longer reach. I think Anderson has better reaction time and is a counter striker which makes him sometimes look comparable in hand speed to Vitor but I don't think he would look nearly as fast if he lead more like Vitor does.

I agree that Vitor and Jacare pose the most interesting match ups for Weidman and should be the biggest threats to him but I favor Weidman over both, I think he would beat Vitor on the ground and Jacare what would mostly be a kickboxing match with some takedowns with 1 minute or so to go in the rounds, sort of like the Maia fight but at a faster pace since it wouldn't be on 10 days notice.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote