Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
RockUmSockUm

Brown Belt

vCash: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesBones View Post
Yup. It is a mentality. Timidity. Jones referred to Davis as a "sheep". I agree.
Wow, Jon Jones posts on Sherdog?? Oh, it's just some poseur using his name as his screen name. "Sheep" indeed.

Coming from someone who names himself after someone else, it's funny to hear you call someone else a sheep. Davis's problem isn't anything new. Plenty of good wrestlers in MMA who never develop their striking properly. Sure some are big punchers, but they are easily stifled on the feet and their striking defense is bad.

Davis is young and can improve with the right coaching. Calling a fighter a "sheep" is dumb. Jones follows his coaches every word and gameplan, even during the fight. That's more of a sheep than Davis.

RockUmSockUm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
Lead Salad
White Striped Belt

vCash: 507
I agree he needs something new. He kinda just throws jabs and head kicks the entire time and neither do much damage. The guys wrestling and sub skills are pretty exceptional for a LHW and if he could up his striking, it easily could get him to contender status

R.I.P. The White Stripes (1997-2011)

Sherdog logic
If you lose, you're a can
If you win, you're a can crusher
Lead Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
The Cloud

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockUmSockUm View Post
That's awesome, I want to join an MMA gym but the fees and lack of personal attention keep me from signing up. Plus I don't think there are any quality gyms like Alliance around here.

Relying on a strength isn't all bad, but when your strength is routinely stifled by your opponent, then your weaknesses really shine. Davis doesn't need to be an amazing standup fighter, he just needs to be good enough to set up takedowns and have something to fall back on when his wrestling is negated. If the coaches at Alliance can't get him past that hurdle (and I'm sure they're great coaches), he needs to work with someone who can get him past that mental block, and that might only be at another camp.
I agree. If I've learned anything by traveling to different gyms, It's that I always leave that gym with a new skill set that I could have never have gotten at my previous gym. It's frowned upon to gym hop. But does he want to be the best in the world. Or be the most loyal in the world lol.

The Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Ughugh

Black Belt

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/2/10/53...to-use-ped-mma

Quote:
"If you abuse it, of course you are going to get popped for it and do stupid stuff. But if you use it the right way and you just do what you are supposed to do, then it shouldn't be a problem. But with the way the world is right now, hell you can... Everything is all messed up right now. I don't know man. I think if you can do it, do it. I don't have nothing against it. You know what I'm saying? As long as you don't kill nobody."

"They got to be taking something. You got to take something, even if it's legal or illegal. With as much training as we do, you have to take something. I mean, it doesn't have to be illegal, but you have to do something, because you just can't say ‘I'm going to to home and go to sleep' and just wake up in the morning and feel better. It doesn't work like that."

As an Sherdog discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Jon Jones approaches 1
Ughugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Dabizzle

Orange Belt

Phil is all Set-up striking. He'll throw strikes to get you confused and the score the take down, which isn't a bad strategy at all, except when fighting other wrestlers

Dabizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
RockUmSockUm

Brown Belt

vCash: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cloud View Post
I agree. If I've learned anything by traveling to different gyms, It's that I always leave that gym with a new skill set that I could have never have gotten at my previous gym. It's frowned upon to gym hop. But does he want to be the best in the world. Or be the most loyal in the world lol.
At his level guys seem to gym hop all the time, usually for the better. I don't think its taken personally when so much is riding on it, but we're all human I guess, I could see some bad feelings if a high level guy left your gym. It would be bad publicity and a loss of prestige. Davis has peaked at Alliance. He needs to move to a striking-centric camp.

RockUmSockUm is offline   Reply With Quote