Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
textwarrior

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestonboy View Post
What are some UFC fighters that tore their ACL or other serious knee injuries and came back just as strong?

It seems like everyone has knee problems these days it's practically an epidemic.
I notice people who kick good never kick the same....shogun kicked way less after the surgery. Yeah sure he could fight now ...but, he was not the same imo. His intense kicks were gone.....conor? ...he seemed fine kicking....but, we will see in time cause I still remember how the old conor's legs were like his hands...just a constant pace

textwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
neandertal

Brown Belt

I believe I remember hearing Ronda Rousey overcoming ACL surgery as a teenager... pretty common among women (athletes).

Found it: another source though.
Annamaria De Mars, Rondas mom.
Quote:
For example, when she tore her ACL she was supposed to compete in her first Junior Nationals. I took her to an unbelievably good surgeon. He patched her up.
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/ronda...t-her-daughter

neandertal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
M4R5

Orange Belt

vCash: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycpa View Post
Within 12 months of returning from ACL surgery, GSP defended his title 3 times.

Since returning from ACL surgery, GSP won as many UFC title fights as the following fighters won throughout their entire careers: Jens Pulver, Chris Weidman, Brock Lesnar, Rich Franklin, Andrei Arlovski, Frankie Edgar and all the champs that only won only 1 or 2 title fights. *Source

Since returning from ACL surgery, GSP defended his UFC title as many times as the following fighters defended throughout their entire careers: Baby Jay, Renan Barao, Ben Henderson, Frank Edgar, Cain Velasquez, Dominic Cruz, Brock Lesnar, Tim Sylvia, Rich Franklin, Andre Arlovski, Jens Pulver, Randy Couture and all the champs that defended only once. *Source
Loving the extreme GSP nuthugging, but seriously it's pretty awesome how he was able to do that. Against such dangerous opponents too.

-The Gospel of Mark, 5:9
M4R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
deevlash

Purple Belt

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKITZADACTYL View Post
" came back just as strong "
he won the frigging belt, what more do you want?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
UniqueSteez

vCash: 107
Carlos Condit.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #16
xentreos

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP557CU View Post
A lot of huge names in the NFL came back stronger like Adrian Peterson who had his best year after tearing ACL in December. It's an injury that you can come back from when you have top rehab and surgery.
Lol let's hear some names ap is an extraordinary case. For every a.p story their are a million rg3 dominic Cruz brandon Roy greg oden stories out there its pretty sad . Its gotten alot better don't get me wrong but it's not nearly as casual as you make it seem

xentreos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Egnuldt

Yellow Belt

Chris Lytle tore his ACL then went on to win his next three fights (Brian Foster, Matt Brown, Matt Serra).

Egnuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #18
DanaLovesTito

Orange Belt

GSP lost a lot of explosiveness after the torn acl. Good thing for him he could compensate with good striking.

DanaLovesTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
PAPERCLIP30

Red Belt

vCash: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycpa View Post
Within 12 months of returning from ACL surgery, GSP defended his title 3 times.

Since returning from ACL surgery, GSP won as many UFC title fights as the following fighters won throughout their entire careers: Jens Pulver, Chris Weidman, Brock Lesnar, Rich Franklin, Andrei Arlovski, Frankie Edgar and all the champs that only won only 1 or 2 title fights. *Source

Since returning from ACL surgery, GSP defended his UFC title as many times as the following fighters defended throughout their entire careers: Baby Jay, Renan Barao, Ben Henderson, Frank Edgar, Cain Velasquez, Dominic Cruz, Brock Lesnar, Tim Sylvia, Rich Franklin, Andre Arlovski, Jens Pulver, Randy Couture and all the champs that defended only once. *Source
People are gonna hate for the nuthugging, but that is an extremely impressive stat...

PAPERCLIP30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
JP557CU

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentreos View Post
Lol let's hear some names ap is an extraordinary case. For every a.p story their are a million rg3 dominic Cruz brandon Roy greg oden stories out there its pretty sad . Its gotten alot better don't get me wrong but it's not nearly as casual as you make it seem
You are right, some guys never come back. But a few more NFL studs who came back stronger from ACL tear are included below.

Frank Gore (multiple ACL tears)
Jamal Lewis (multiple ACL tears)
Jamaal Charles
Darrel Revis
Willis McGahee (knee did a 360 and he was all pro)
Tom Brady