Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 AM   #21
Mr.Knuckles

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Pretty bad recently for sure. I used to religiously watch every card, but I've really lost interest lately its been a while since I've watched a card. The Jones-Dc fight getting postponed broke my heart.
Completely agree, obviously I'm old school and was real excited to hear about Roy Nelson vs Mark Hunt coming up, two of my faves to watch. Too bad it's only going to be on Fight Pass.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #22
BisexualMMA
I thought KSW was trying to be serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natman2939 View Post
i've been through a couple of other "lowpoints" for the UFC and they always come out of them okay
The current state of affairs really is something novel, though, in terms of the UFC's overall approach. Whereas there was once PRIDE and the pre-2010ish UFC, where it was more or less all 170lb+ top 20ish guys... That type of Superbowl-ish league actually doesn't exist anymore. The UFC had monopolized it when it absorbed both Pride and Strikeforce... But then they expanded their weight classes and genders, and now there actually isn't anywhere that the "old UFC" exists, and that is what they were when they exploded.

There really isn't anywhere in MMA history to point toward as an apples-to-apples example for what the UFC is facing with its current model.

But I think the most relevant examples would be the UFC dark years, where Tito was the only star. That is what happened after the novelty of introducing the UFC wore off after about five years or so. I would say that the introduction of TUF and the Bonnar / Griffin fight were kind of like the introduction of the UFC itself with Royce and Ken.

In both cases, the novelty wore off. But in the present case, it may be the UFC's own fault for taking the UFC that sucked the world in ten years ago, and changing it into something notably different.

BisexualMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #23
CO68

Black Belt

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Knuckles View Post
Unfamiliar with post season games are you?
OK, maybe I shouldn't have said "at all", but what kind of point are you even trying to make here? Are you going to pretend your post was made with those 4 games a year the NFL holds on a Saturday as your point? The UFC hasn't held an event on those Saturdays anyways. Wait, since you may try to nitpick again, let me correct that. They did hold an event on such an occasion, but it was on Fight Pass and it started in the morning and ended well before the playoff game began.

Quote:
And if tonight's game were broadcast Friday night instead, you know what would happen to FN50, or maybe that's giving you too much credit.
Giving me too much credit? If I said your sentence here was an awful attempt at a point, then I'd still be giving you too much credit for it.

Quote:
Besides the point, the UFC has been blowing it at arguably the most important time of their year round sport.
The upcoming Fight Night looks nice. Their next PPV looks great (if you're not excited for 178, then you suck). The PPVs after that are being headlined by nice looking title fights until we get to Silva vs. Diaz, which is an interesting fight, as well. What is them "blowing it"? Because the Jones/Gus/DC merry-go-round got pushed back? 178 still looks really good without a Jones title fight. One of the most entertaining fighters is making his UFC debut and he's facing another really exciting fighter. Also, the UFC can't wave a magic wand and make fighters not get injured, they can't force people like Barao to fight up a weight class, they can't force GSP out of semi-retirement, etc...

Quote:
Try to stay on point.
Try to get a decent point.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #24
lfd0311

Black Belt

This has been the trend for about 4 years now...

"HE CAN BENCH PRESS 300 POUNDS!!!!!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello
lfd0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #25
Kneepocalypse

Brown Belt

more excited about fantasy football than any UFC card in recent memory. Jones Cormier would have taken it though.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #26
jjresq

Brown Belt

vCash: 3890
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO68 View Post
UFC mainly holds events on Saturday nights while the NFL doesn't have games on Saturday at all.

There's an over saturation of terrible posts on this forum...
Saturdays are home to College football which is just as big as the NFL and has a very loyal following

jjresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #27
ceestand

Orange Belt

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO68 View Post
There's an over saturation of terrible posts on this forum...
lol. Does this mean we can now have thousands of threads about how Sherdog is watered-down?

Don't say "less cards" when what you really mean is "only quality PPV cards."
ceestand is offline   Reply With Quote