Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #101
NaughtyBoy

Purple Belt

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Here's the problem with that, and i want you to meditate something for a minute. This is factual information:

Anderson's coach admited in an interview that Anderson was feeling uncomfortable during the fight. Then in another interview A. Silva admited he was out of control and lost his temper. Furthermore there are reports stating that Silva complained to his coach about not being able to hit Weidman. Doesn't sound like someone who was having fun, does it?

These are all facts, this isn't something i'm making up (i can give you the sources if you wish). Based on this information, what do you think really happened?:

a) A. Silva was in total control of the fight and suddenly felt like playing around and toy with Weidman but got reckless and paid the price; he was caught. This was all Silva's fault, and the clowning had nothing to do with anything Weidman was doing. (this is the scenario every Silva fan chooses to believe)

b) Chris took A. Silva down early on the fight, and proved to be a threat there (landed gnp and had a sub attempt). Silva got up and dropped his hands. Chris didn't overcomit, picked his shots, and landed some good ones. Anderson wasn't being successful with anything, other than a few leg kicks. Silva's frustration grew; he lost his focus & temper (as statet by him and his coach) and took the clowning further to get openings, but made a mistake which Weidman capitalized on.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Chris doesn't take the bait:

Silva grows frustrated:

Then clowns even harder, makes a mistake,

There's a very clear difference between chosing to do something reckless out of nowhere and being pushed to do it. We already know how Silva was feeling during the fight; uncomfortable, angry and out of focus. Those were the cause of his mistake, and guess what? they don't just come by themselves.

Refusing to give Weidman full credit for pushing Silva to that point and then taking advantage of it is silly, and just a way out for delusional fans who still can't accept the fact that Weiman was simply the better fighter. Did Silva clown? yes, but the reason he did it, the context, is the key.

Cheers.
Cheers man, great post.

Silva definitely wasn't having fun, in fact I choose that Silva got pushed to that situation (playing around and clowning) due Weidman's pressure and confidence.

Wasn't able to get some momentum in the fight and got frustrated. I actually agreed about that Andy went to that fight already defeated.

BTW, I'm not even Anderson Fan, I enjoy watching him fight.

The thing about this thread was that, Weidman beating Machida will gave him respect and got my attention cuz maybe that's what he needs to make him finally legit in my eyes.

I don't discredit Weidman for pushing Andy on that situation. But that isn't brilliance of a tricky move either.

In that context I would say that Weidman was better then Andy not by being so skillful, much more because of his confidence and mentality that brought to the cage.

-
-
-
- Just Jones.

Last edited by NaughtyBoy; 07-03-2014 at 12:53 PM.
NaughtyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #102
Claude

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
Yeah, but it's still hard to tell from those fights if weidman is any better than Sonnen or even Lutter for that matter.

Beating Machida will be huge for Weidman. Unlike andy, he's not worn down, he's still hungry, and he doesn't have any glaring holes in his game to attack.
Sonnen lost twice to Silva. Weidman finished Silva twice. Not that hard to tell who's better, unless you're in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
I still believe that Sonnen or Bonnar could have just as easily stopped Andy in their fights...it just didn't happen for them.

I'm not saying Weidman landed a lucky punch, but that Anderson's "luck" ran out.
Or they were just not skilled enough. He ran out of luck because he was fighting a better fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightfan84 View Post
LOL, you are comparing his bobbing and weiving In the forest fight to what he did against Weidman?? lol not even almost the same man. Weidman fight he went full retard stood flat footed pretending to be hurt while still in the pocket,
That was after he came into the 1st round with his hands up but was immediatly taken down:

And after Silva baited him, but got nothing in return:

This is the part where guys like Forrest/Okami go full retard and get dropped:

Chris didn't fall for it, and instead picked his shots, and even taunted Silva back. Silva became even more frustrated:

Quote from Silva: "I was out of control, lost my temper a little bit.”

Quote from Silva's coach: "He started playing around too much, and that was a sign that he was feeling uncomfortable."

Now that we know the context you can tell why he had to clown that hard vs. Chris. Forrest took the bait right away, Chris didnt.

Quote:
he didn't do that in his other fights,m that's the biggest difference and I don't understand why people have a hard time seeing that
Chris did a great job of not being thrown off and just kept throwing punches at silvas wide open face, wasn't really that impressive tho, 2 high caliber guys and one pulls a move like that in the fight you kind of expect the K.O to happen when your not emotionally invested into the fighters, which is something else I don't understand how so many mma fans get, they make it personal lol
He wasn't pushed to do that in his other fights.

"I was out of control, lost my temper a little bit.”

I'm pretty sure he never felt this way while toying with Forrest.

Last edited by Claude; 07-03-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #103
SamboPunch

Silver Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannynorw View Post
Machida deffnitly is in his Prime, and Anderson was aswell.. He showed no signs of slowing down, nobody talked about it until he got his ass wooped by the superior athlete.
I think you can make a case for Anderson being 38 and having his leg snapped. Machida is still in his prime imo.

SamboPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #104
Bromplav

Yellow Belt

Nothing controversial about his first win vs. Silva.
Still I don't think he's the future/current GOAT that some claim he is but he's definitely an elite fighter by UFC standards.

Bromplav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #105
fightfan84

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Sonnen lost twice to Silva. Weidman finished Silva twice. Not that hard to tell who's better, unless you're in denial.

Or they were just not skilled enough. He ran out of luck because he was fighting a better fighter.

That was after he came into the 1st round with his hands up but was immediatly taken down:

And after Silva baited him, but got nothing in return:

This is the part where guys like Forrest/Okami go full retard and get dropped:

Chris didn't fall for it, and instead picked his shots, and even taunted Silva back. Silva became even more frustrated:

Quote from Silva: "I was out of control, lost my temper a little bit.”

Quote from Silva's coach: "He started playing around too much, and that was a sign that he was feeling uncomfortable."

Now that we know the context you can tell why he had to clown that hard vs. Chris. Forrest took the bait right away, Chris didnt.

He wasn't pushed to do that in his other fights.

"I was out of control, lost my temper a little bit.”

I'm pretty sure he never felt this way while toying with Forrest.

Wow your reaching man, all im pointing out is the way the knockout went and why I didn't find it that impressive, he caught Anderson in a moment where he went full retard standing flat footed in the pocket, its not hard to tell it was a stupid move, I wasnt debating that, but just the outcome at that point was kind of expected.
I said chris did a good job to capitalize on Andersons stupid brain fart, but I don't think hes some world beater for it either, he has a young short career with lots of time to show everyone hes as good as sherdog thinks he is

fightfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #106
wigglestick
pess de gward

I'm not surprised in the least this thread ends up having claude stopping Silva nuthuggers from trying to discredit Weidman wins. They'll never learn or stop crying about it

Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #107
da1nonlyBAYCAT

Orange Belt

man, espn really does not like or respect mma. they filmed this pretty cool segment with weidman and melendez showing this analyst some techniques in an octagon then as soon as it was melendez's turn they randomly cut to a non-story about the lakers meeting with carmelo and then cut to a commercial. I really wanted to see the whole segment.

da1nonlyBAYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #108
ectera

Purple Belt

Even Weidman thought Anderson's showboating was excessive in which it was. Regardless it definitely is Anderson's way of forcing his opponents to do something silly and it worked against him. No point in constantly re-hashing this. Weidman did what he had to do in order to win.

Anderson lost, but his legacy will live on and I don't see any MW including Weidman beating his streak.

ectera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #109
Claude

Brown Belt

Quote:
Wow your reaching man, all im pointing out is the way the knockout went and why I didn't find it that impressive, he caught Anderson in a moment where he went full retard standing flat footed in the pocket, its not hard to tell it was a stupid move, I wasnt debating that, but just the outcome at that point was kind of expected.
I said chris did a good job to capitalize on Andersons stupid brain fart, but I don't think hes some world beater for it either, he has a young short career with lots of time to show everyone hes as good as sherdog thinks he is
I'm giving you some context so you can understand why he made that "stupid move" and why he didn't do the same thing vs. Forrest.

Silva's mistake wasn't just an isolated event that happened for no reason, but the result of a series of events that led him to do it. To kids who don't get this, Weidman's win was nothing impressive because Silva was just clowning around and made a stupid move. To any smart and knowledgeable fan, Weidman did everything right and pushed Silva into the point of frustration and losing his focus (as Silva admited, he lost control and his temper), as a result he made a mistake which Weidman capitalized on. Therefore everything about his performance was impressive.

Cheers.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #110
Kelman

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolln808 View Post
There is a strong majority of people who discredit his wins over Silva (myself included) based on how they were won. Barring another controversial ending, will he earn your respect with a win? For me, beating Machida will be a big feather in his cap, more so than beating Silva was, or if he had faced post trt Belfort, and will in my mind solidify his career up to this point. Opinions?
If it's a satisfying/conclusive/definitive/100% intentional/not gift-wrapped ending (like 95% of fights do), you bet I'll give him full credit. Same as I would have done if either Silva fight finished in the above fashion.

Kelman is offline   Reply With Quote