Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #151
That209
Unholy

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
Or it's his cardio. He stuffed them late in the fight, while others tend to huff & puff by the 3rd.
His TDD actually is better than people give him credit for. He stuffed 17-19 from Sherk and arguably won that fight, to make it more impressive, Sherk went on to become the champ in his next fight with a win over Kenny Florian.

Then against Riggs, I think he stuffed 5-8 and tons of people thought Nick won that fight. And against GSP, I don't remember how many he stuffed, but I think (I could be wrong) he stuffed more TD's from GSP ever has. Of course, GSP being tired by the 3rd has something to do with it, but stuffing GSP's TD's over and over is pretty impressive.

Nick is one of those guys, like Werdum and Nogueira, doesn't mind being taken down because he's confident off of his back. Nick started as a pure Jiu-Jitsu fighter and he was submitting people, he's confident on his back. Sometimes it doesn't really look like Nick is even trying to stop the TD, and against Paul Daley, he stuffed it but then you can tell that he pulled Daley into his guard.

I'm not saying Nick has amazing TDD, but it's definitely better than people think. If Nick really tries to keep a fight standing, then he keeps the fight standing. If Nick actually wants to get back to his feet, he usually does. If he's trying to fight you off of his back and either sweep and submit you, he will stay there, you can tell when Nick isn't trying to escape back to his feet or if he's trying to keep you on the ground and submit his opponent because he's confident in his ability to do so.

Sherdog; the place where opinion = fact.

Cain Velasquez will go down as the GOAT.
That209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #152
TheProphetAxel

Brown Belt

vCash: 61050
Quote:
Originally Posted by That209 View Post
His TDD actually is better than people give him credit for. He stuffed 17-19 from Sherk and arguably won that fight, to make it more impressive, Sherk went on to become the champ in his next fight with a win over Kenny Florian.

Then against Riggs, I think he stuffed 5-8 and tons of people thought Nick won that fight. And against GSP, I don't remember how many he stuffed, but I think (I could be wrong) he stuffed more TD's from GSP ever has. Of course, GSP being tired by the 3rd has something to do with it, but stuffing GSP's TD's over and over is pretty impressive.

Nick is one of those guys, like Werdum and Nogueira, doesn't mind being taken down because he's confident off of his back. Nick started as a pure Jiu-Jitsu fighter and he was submitting people, he's confident on his back. Sometimes it doesn't really look like Nick is even trying to stop the TD, and against Paul Daley, he stuffed it but then you can tell that he pulled Daley into his guard.

I'm not saying Nick has amazing TDD, but it's definitely better than people think. If Nick really tries to keep a fight standing, then he keeps the fight standing. If Nick actually wants to get back to his feet, he usually does. If he's trying to fight you off of his back and either sweep and submit you, he will stay there, you can tell when Nick isn't trying to escape back to his feet or if he's trying to keep you on the ground and submit his opponent because he's confident in his ability to do so.
To be honest, I'm not crazy about Nick, but you're right about his TDD. It wasn't bad in the GSP fight considering all the drama going on with his poor training camp and lack of good training partners. I think if he had been able to train properly and had a better coaching staff, he may have done significantly better in that fight. The biggest problem with the Diaz bros is the fact that they are so fiercely loyal that they refused to move to a team/camp that can offer them more. Against competition with the right gameplan, they have trouble.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #153
That209
Unholy

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProphetAxel View Post
To be honest, I'm not crazy about Nick, but you're right about his TDD. It wasn't bad in the GSP fight considering all the drama going on with his poor training camp and lack of good training partners. I think if he had been able to train properly and had a better coaching staff, he may have done significantly better in that fight. The biggest problem with the Diaz bros is the fact that they are so fiercely loyal that they refused to move to a team/camp that can offer them more. Against competition with the right gameplan, they have trouble.
Good thing for them they dropped Cesar as their manager. It's clear he didn't care about the Diaz bros ever becoming champ one day, in their biggest fights of their lives he didn't care, he just wanted some of their money. Guy's a snake.

Sherdog; the place where opinion = fact.

Cain Velasquez will go down as the GOAT.
That209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #154
StudioGangster

White Belt

vCash: 500
Back in 05 I worked with GSP in Vegas on his double leg... Since then he's been unstoppable. We haven't spoken in quite some time, but I agree with his statement.

StudioGangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #155
Dookieshoes**
Banned

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioGangster View Post
Back in 05 I worked with GSP in Vegas on his double leg... Since then he's been unstoppable. We haven't spoken in quite some time, but I agree with his statement.
pfft. haha, LOL

Dookieshoes** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #156
Taric
Athletic and Explosive Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine hislop View Post
The way some people talk him up, you'd swear JH is the second coming of Dan Gable or a downsized version of Karelin.
Johny had a record of 56-1 in his senior year. Excluding Askren, Hendricks is the most accomplished amateur wrestler in MMA still active.

Taric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #157
Pengu

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Dead View Post
Maybe he won't need it. GSP by KO via brutal high kick

Pengu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #158
Dookieshoes**
Banned

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taric View Post
Johny had a record of 56-1 in his senior year. Excluding Askren, Hendricks is the most accomplished amateur wrestler in MMA still active.
...and that doesn't mean shit, when you're fighting a guy who eats NCAA Division 1 wrestlers for breakfast.

Dookieshoes** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #159
ReadWrite

Green Belt

vCash: 733
GSP... time to eat crow...

"Johnson will [fight] Davis at UFC 172,"--Dana White, Feb. 4.
ReadWrite is offline   Reply With Quote