Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #41
ferrisjso

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
MW is at the best it's ever been. However I wouldn't compare this murders row to the one Jones went through. People complain about Jones murders row being past their primes yet this is more true of MW today than what Jones had to go through.

Jones opponents

Shogun 29
Rampage 33
Machida 33
Evans 32

Weidman potential murderers row

Silva 38
Belfort 36
Machida 35

Still would be a hell of an impressive run just not in the class of the run Jones did.

ferrisjso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #42
BruceLeeOnTRT

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisjso View Post
MW is at the best it's ever been. However I wouldn't compare this murders row to the one Jones went through. People complain about Jones murders row being past their primes yet this is more true of MW today than what Jones had to go through.

Jones opponents

Shogun 29
Rampage 33
Machida 33
Evans 32

Weidman potential murderers row

Silva 38
Belfort 36
Machida 35

Still would be a hell of an impressive run just not in the class of the run Jones did.
I think you should look at how long they've been fighting and what condition their body is after injuries / surgeries. Anderson may almost a decade older than Shogun, but in terms of overall body mileage (at least prior to the Weidman fights), he is almost a young man in comparison. shoguns knees have been operated on as much as mickey rourkes face bro. Rampage is another example of a dude whos knees have gotten so shot that he struggles to defend takedowns and does little wrestling of his own.

Machida is better suited at mw and will be a bigger threat to weidman at 185 than he was to jones at 205 due to size disparity alone regardless of age. Same with Vitor.

Rashad is a legit win tho, and one of the few fighters I think beats Weidman at this point.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
Big Brother

Green Belt

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMyNameIs View Post
Yeah i totally forgot about rashad maling the cut. Id love to see that happen. And rockhold is no joke although i feel that would be an easier match up for chris... bit still he would make a formidable opponent no doubt
I agree, Weidman is in for a challenge, but seeing how fast he learns and adapts to his opponents style is pretty amazing. I think his toughest challenge would be Machida, Jacare, and Rashad if he does end up dropping. :p

Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #44
Hades86

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceLeeOnTRT View Post
He was on TRT when he got head kicked. The difference between then and now is that he's been introduced to the world of Dutch kickboxing that Reem imported to Blackzillians, and as a result has stepped his striking game up. That being said, he's still not as good of a striker as Anderson.

Bisping and Rockhold were both far too static in front of Vitor, and Henderson charged in with 0 fucks given about defense. None of those 3 opponents really mixed it up with vitor the way Weidman will, and if you watched Silva Weidman fights, youll see that Chris is constantly moving and never static in front of his opponent. There is a reason Anderson couldn't get his counters off in time or never hit him square.
So training with Reem got him shredding..... Cool story. . I love how you left out the biggest difference in this whole controversy. His body change.....

Hades86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #45
BruceLeeOnTRT

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades86 View Post
So training with Reem got him shredding..... Cool story. . I love how you left out the biggest difference in this whole controversy. His body change.....
His body has not changed that much but honestly it doesnt matter, I agree that the dude is juicing hard.

That being said, roids dont teach you new techniques. Vitor was always a fantastic puncher (not to be confused with boxer), and was known for his swarming combinations.

He's never had the kickboxing skill that he displays now, and that's got everything to do with the killers Reem has been flying in from Netherlands. He's been sparring with the best and had evolved his striking, juice aside.

It still doesn't matter as Weidman is too versatile for Vitor and will mix it up rather than trying to kickbox the whole time.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #46
Panic

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMyNameIs View Post
superfight with nick diaz
lol wut

Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #47
MMADonkey

Orange Belt

Amazing how quickly people abandoned Anderson. 2 losses to an undefeated champion and now all of a sudden he is trash and none of his past accomplishes mean anything. It used to be atleast an argument who was the goat, Anderson or Fedor. And now Vitor is the better striker?? C'mon already

Anderson would beat Vitor with or without TRT even with his broken leg. You really are as good as your last fight in this sport, once Vitor gets gnp grinded to a tko victory by Weidman he'll be considered washed up again by all of you.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #48
zbigniewz

Blue Belt

the only plus side to anderson losing the title for me personally is that machida is now free to go after that MW title full force.

zbigniewz is offline   Reply With Quote