Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
MafiaMoniz

Orange Belt

vCash: 500

What was the fight, card & fighter of the year in your opinion?
Here's mine

-Card of the Year-
UFC 168 even tho it ended poorly plus I was there (UFC 166 would be my 2nd choice)

-Fight of the Year-
Jon Bones Jones vs Gustafsson 1st time Jones needed to dig deep for his comeback victory (Hunt vs Bigfoot is my 2nd I'm a big Hunt fan like everyone else)

-Fighter of the Year-
Chris Weidman (I'd would of said Vitor with 3 KOs but beating the MW GOAT twice in 6months for the title puts Chris on another level)

MafiaMoniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
Reach

Orange Belt

Agree on all your calls

Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
FallonFoxGOAT

Green Belt

-Card of the Year-
UFC 165

-Fight of the Year-
Jon Bones Jones vs Gustafsson

-Fighter of the Year-
Belfort

Except the Diaz brothers. Most delusional and obnoxious fanbase in MMA.
FallonFoxGOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
loyalsword21

Orange Belt

Silva Stann was nuts

Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 AM   #5
gboy
normal

vCash: 604
Good picks TS. One thing that Hunt x Bigfoot had over Jones x Gustaffson is that both guys came close to being finished and both guys got dropped. Neither Jones nor Gustaffson ever came close to finishing, the closest was when Bones landed that big elbow. The momentum shift in Hunt x Bigfoot fight was very exciting and they stood toe to toe after 4 brutal rounds.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #6
FallonFoxGOAT

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboy View Post
Good picks TS. One thing that Hunt x Bigfoot had over Jones x Gustaffson is that both guys came close to being finished and both guys got dropped. Neither Jones nor Gustaffson ever came close to finishing, the closest was when Bones landed that big elbow. The momentum shift in Hunt x Bigfoot fight was very exciting and they stood toe to toe after 4 brutal rounds.
Jones vs Gustafsson was more technical, and there was a pretty big momentum shift from Gus to Jones starting in about the 3rd round. Jones showed the true heart of a champion in that fight, especially coming back from adversity.

I can never get excited for sloppy HW slugfests.

Except the Diaz brothers. Most delusional and obnoxious fanbase in MMA.
FallonFoxGOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
gboy
normal

vCash: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallonFoxGOAT View Post
Jones vs Gustafsson was more technical, and there was a pretty big momentum shift from Gus to Jones starting in about the 3rd round. Jones showed the true heart of a champion in that fight, especially coming back from adversity.

I can never get excited for sloppy HW slugfests.
Jones x Gustafsson was more technical sure but Hunt x Bigfoot was far from sloppy apart from the 5th round where they were completely gassed out. There was also lots of GnP from both guys, the fight took place on the feet and on the ground.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #8
Maryse

Purple Belt

Quote:
Thats my problem with Jones v Gus being dubbed Fight Of The Year, it was a close fight, good technically but nothing big happened in 25 minutes. There wasn't a single moment where it looked like the fight was even close to being stopped.

Wand-Stann had more exciting moments in the first minute than Jones-Gus had in 25.

Ronda Rousey
Anthony Pettis
Mark Hunt
Ronaldo Souza
Lyoto Machida
Gegard Mousasi
Maryse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
MafiaMoniz

Orange Belt

Quote:
If the referee didnt stop the fight to clean Silva's cut in the 5th rd I think Hunt would of got the KO but I can live with a Draw I loved that HW war but the fact that Bones was already being billed as the LHW GOAT going in against Gus then being down in 2 of the 1st 3 rds & having to make a big comeback in a complete dogfight to prove he's the best in the world in his toughest match to date is why this is my obvious #1choice for FOTY

IMO Hunt/Silva, GSP/Hendricks, Wand/Stann, Rousey/Tate2(I'm not really a big WMMA fan), Grice/Dennis, Bendo/Gil, Gil/Sanchez, & Hendricks/Condit are the fights that all stand out last year

MafiaMoniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
Ottawaguy

Black Belt

vCash: 21961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaMoniz View Post
What was the fight, card & fighter of the year in your opinion?
Here's mine

-Card of the Year-
UFC 168 even tho it ended poorly plus I was there (UFC 166 would be my 2nd choice)

-Fight of the Year-
Jon Bones Jones vs Gustafsson 1st time Jones needed to dig deep for his comeback victory (Hunt vs Bigfoot is my 2nd I'm a big Hunt fan like everyone else)

-Fighter of the Year-
Chris Weidman (I'd would of said Vitor with 3 KOs but beating the MW GOAT twice in 6months for the title puts Chris on another level)
Good list.

Ottawaguy is offline   Reply With Quote