Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #71
GSP_37

Black Belt

vCash: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMADonkey View Post
Her groundgame is obviously super technical and amazing, I think we all knew that.

However there's more to life than fighting, and the greatest skill you can master is being nice to other people. I'll always root for the nice guys and the underdogs, even when they lose.
Yeah, but I watch MMA to watch elite fighting skill. If I wanted to watch a nice person, I'd watch Oprah Winfrey give away cool stuff to her live audience.

I liked watching Hughes and like watching Jones, even though both have been described as not nice people. There are semi-skilled fighters who also aren't nice, and I have zero interest in them. Not sure exactly what the magic formula is.

GSP_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #72
MMADonkey

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP_37 View Post
Yeah, but I watch MMA to watch elite fighting skill. If I wanted to watch a nice person, I'd watch Oprah Winfrey give away cool stuff to her live audience.

I liked watching Hughes and like watching Jones, even though both have been described as not nice people. There are semi-skilled fighters who also aren't nice, and I have zero interest in them. Not sure exactly what the magic formula is.
That was mostly aimed at people saying stuff like "Where are the Rousey haters now?" etc in the youtube comments. I don't think anyone dislikes Rousey for her skill, but her personality. And I absolutely think MMA needs these amazing fighters with shit personality, since it makes it so much better when the humble nice guy beats them.

I don't know, I love watching highly skilled athletes like Ronda, Anderson, Bones etc fight as much as anyone, and ultimately they are who we watch this sport for. But there's just something about people who always root for the favourite, even if he/she is a horrible human being, just so they can say "their guy" won. The same kind of people who always root for the last year's champion or league leader in team sports.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #73
Arkain2K
Si vis pacem, para bellum

vCash: 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooliox View Post
What masterful ground game? I've only seen the same armbar everytime.

A 152 pound woman on fight night who overpowers her opponent that have weak submission defense.
Seriously? THAT's what you get out of the Gracie Breakdown in the OP?

To quote Arnold Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire: "There's only so much you can teach a person until you reach the limits of his capabilities."

I survived "TPF 10 - Let the Streams Fail".
Arkain2K is online now   Reply With Quote