Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Ring Rust?
Yes. 112 70.00%
No. 17 10.63%
Depends on the fighter. 31 19.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #91
Al Gorithm

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Know It All View Post
So, Weidman's seven and a half minute fight with Munoz was more valuable than the months and years he spent busting his ass every single day in the gym? Then why not only fight? What is the point of training if not to elevate your skill? Take a natural at the sport and toss him in the cage with wrestlers and strikers. Oh wait! They do that. It's called sparring for hours a day in the gym. Guys don't spar for 5 minutes. They spar for hours to prepare for 15-25 minutes.
Honest question

Have you done any kind of official athletic competition ? Is so what kind?

Al Gorithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #92
Al Gorithm

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Know It All View Post
So, Weidman's seven and a half minute fight with Munoz was more valuable than the months and years he spent busting his ass every single day in the gym? Then why not only fight? What is the point of training if not to elevate your skill? Take a natural at the sport and toss him in the cage with wrestlers and strikers. Oh wait! They do that. It's called sparring for hours a day in the gym. Guys don't spar for 5 minutes. They spar for hours to prepare for 15-25 minutes.
why is it a mutually exclusive situation? Obviously training in necessary. Do you deny that additional and unique experience is ALSO gained from an actual fight?

Al Gorithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #93
MMALeBronJames

Purple Belt
 
MMALeBronJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ∆
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 50
Depends, look at Weidman, a year long lay off and then goes in and KO's the GOAT.




__________________
Gustafsson
Mousasi
Overeem
Fedor

10PJJ4L
MMALeBronJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #94
I Know It All

Purple Belt
 
I Know It All's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gorithm View Post
Honest question

Have you done any kind of official athletic competition ? Is so what kind?
Wrestling and American Football. I know. Shocking right. Have you? What level of competition would you say brings out the ring rust? Does it have to be the highest level? Can a high school football star be rusty after a summer break? There is debut jitters, but everyone is nervous the first time they do anything. Those are just nerves. Fighters deny the existence of ring rust all the time. It was created because a popular fighter lost and people needed a way to explain how super popular A lost to not so likable B. It's just another excuse. 9/10 times a fight would play out the exact same the very next day. Not saying all rematches play out the same way. People progress differently over time. Fighters go months and months without a fight.

How long is it for a long layoff to matter? 6 months? Champions fight about 2 times a year as it is. Sometimes less. What makes 7 months different than the regular 6 months?

__________________
English motherfucker, do you speak it?

Zuffa bless America.

I have no feeling in my fingers or penis, but I think it was worth it.

If you need to know who is in someone's AV, use tineye.
I Know It All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #95
Osnodon

Purple Belt
 
Osnodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,906
vCash: 500
Absolutely, not even a question in my mind and history confirms this.

Osnodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #96
Al Gorithm

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Know It All View Post
Wrestling and American Football. I know. Shocking right. Have you? What level of competition would you say brings out the ring rust? Does it have to be the highest level? Can a high school football star be rusty after a summer break? There is debut jitters, but everyone is nervous the first time they do anything. Those are just nerves. Fighters deny the existence of ring rust all the time. It was created because a popular fighter lost and people needed a way to explain how super popular A lost to not so likable B. It's just another excuse. 9/10 times a fight would play out the exact same the very next day. Not saying all rematches play out the same way. People progress differently over time. Fighters go months and months without a fight.

How long is it for a long layoff to matter? 6 months? Champions fight about 2 times a year as it is. Sometimes less. What makes 7 months different than the regular 6 months?
As a kid wrestling. Not an even enough of a playing field to notice. Skill gaps were too large to attribute anything minor to winning or losing so it's irrelevant. As an adult road racing ( 1/2marathons, marathons , 10k ect) You can go out and run repeats on a track , do tempo runs until you puke ect ect (all very important stuff) but NOTHING sharpens you like racing regularly. You venture into deeper waters in actual competition than you ever do in practice. You just cant replicate actual competion in practice 100%.
Also how many fighters are going to say " yeah , I'm a little rusty , hope my timing and instinct are still topnotch " before fight? They are all always " 100% healthy" or " never been in better shape" prefight. They have to think this way , confidence is supremely important in competition.
Maybe Weidman with a little rust was @ 98% was still good enough to beat Silva. I guess I don't see why everything is so black and white or all or nothing with some folks. " Well he had a long layoff and still won....must be nothing to the old ring rust myth" or " He was juicing and still lost...steroids must not do anything for performance" .


Last edited by Al Gorithm; 08-24-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Al Gorithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"