Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Worldwide MMA Discussion

Worldwide MMA Discussion This is the place for all non-UFC/WEC/Pride events, including Strikeforce, Affliction, HDNet Fights, Cage Rage, KOTC, ROTR, Shooto, and the like.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
reggieweezy

vCash: 500
MMA is a strange sport. Once dominant fighters can start losing, and then out of nowhere they start winning again and eventually get title matches

reggieweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
eseseses681

Blue Belt

vCash: 275
He may, but it probably won't happen.

He looked pretty good in his last fight. It wasn't against the best opponent (the guy isn't a bad fighter, though; one of his losses was cuz' he spat out his mouthpiece, and he's got a victory over Carson Beebe), but after a string of losses, a build-up fight's needed a lot of the time to get yourself back on track, and he looked aggressive and fast and looked like he brought back a lot of the techniques which brought him to such success in 2008, and he's abandoned a lot of the mentality and techniques which lead him to unspectacularly win and lose from 2009-2012 (by that, I mean tentatively circling and retreating from his opponent for the majority of the fight and throwing, like, 2-4 punches every minute, which isn't the kind of fighter Miguel is and isn't the kind of strategy and style that brought him to such heights). Considering he also took the fight at 145 (he's moving up to 145, apparently, and he's found some renewed vigor at the weight), it's to be expected that he'd struggle a little at first (moving up in weight always has a few initial bumps), and, considering that he had to deal with some serious pre-fight fuckery in his previous loss at featherweight, he's still got a lot to offer as a fighter.

Apparently, he's fighting in an 8-man tournament featuring Will Chope and Uchimura in Singapore's Rebel FC. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/24...mma-tournament

It's not until early-August, but Miguel's also said in his recent Sherdog interview that he's got a fight coming up at the end of May.

Last edited by eseseses681; 04-25-2014 at 07:26 PM.
eseseses681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
The Renegade

Silver Belt

Could never stand him, a good fighter but one of the most overrated champions in mainstream mma history.

"Heaven for climate. Hell for company."
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
who cares

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAProfessional View Post
Yeah ha he had a couple back to back losses against low level fighters and just got a decision against a no name fighter with a losing record.
Is this a joke? Moraes and Alfonso are hardly "low level fighters". He certainly has his work cut out for him if he wants to get back, but I don't think him putting together a streak of 4 or 5 straight is unrealistic.

who cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
C0NCH3TO

Black Belt

I remember when he was no1 p4p in here lol.

I invented teh interwebz

Fan de Ataque 77
C0NCH3TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
JfPuffNStuff

Blue Belt

Torres was one the first fighters I watched back in 08' when I started watching MMA. He was so damn fun to watch and was pretty dominat then. He just didn't evolve enough with the sport I'm guessing. Old Lion past his prime. Regardless Ill always root for him.

Pettis/JDS/Weidman/Poirier/Guillard/S. Pettis/Faber/Lawler/Daley/Woodley/Alves/Browne/Tate

Boxing

Jones Jr/Cotto/Malignaggi/Maidana/GGG
JfPuffNStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
SILVAREDEMPTION

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAProfessional View Post
Yeah ha he had a couple back to back losses against low level fighters and just got a decision against a no name fighter with a losing record.
Marlon Moraes a low level fighter???

SILVAREDEMPTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
UniqueSteez

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylan View Post
Torres is taking part in a 8 man featherweight GP in Singapore for a promotion called Rebel FC. Will Chope is also on the tournament.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/24...mma-tournament
I would love to see Miguel Torres Vs Will Chope, I think Miguel is fighting locally in May.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #19
eseseses681

Blue Belt

vCash: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueSteez View Post
I would love to see Miguel Torres Vs Will Chope, I think Miguel is fighting locally in May.
He said he's gonna fight on May 31st in that recent Sherdog interview. Sometimes these things don't work out, though, but Miguel seems like the kinda guy that'd follow it through no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfPuffNStuff View Post
Torres was one the first fighters I watched back in 08' when I started watching MMA. He was so damn fun to watch and was pretty dominat then. He just didn't evolve enough with the sport I'm guessing. Old Lion past his prime. Regardless Ill always root for him.
He changed after Bowles KO'd him. I mean, he had some holes in his game partly due to his tendency to get overaggressive, which Bowles capitalized on, but afterwards his style completely changed as a fighter. I mean, compare the way he fought Maeda in his prime to the way he fought Banuelos; it's almost shocking that this's the same guy. Miguel was so worried about Antonio's power that he hardly threw anything, despite having a 13-inch reach advantage, and tentatively outstruck him throughout the fight. This's almost completely different from the way he fought Maeda; the way he outstruck him on the outside was vicious, highly-aggressive and very active, so much so that he completely closed up Maeda's eye and stopped the fight. He improved on his form a lot, though, so that's good, but styles are individualized for a reason.

He's been returning to his stylistic roots lately, though, and at featherweight he's seemed to have refound a lot of that vigor he had in 2008, so he can probably put together a respectable string of victories, and the Rebel tournament looks like a great place to start.

eseseses681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #20
ufc_vs_pride

Orange Belt

vCash: 1204
Never same after Bowles expose him