Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #41
YoungBoyd

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Weidman is a clear favourite imo, but Machida has the tools to make it very close.

YoungBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:21 AM   #42
Yolandabecool

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheater View Post
so youre saying machida will likely back pedal and try to out point weidman in a similar way he fought those 3?
I think so. Chris is too slow to stop it. If Chris can threaten the takedown past round two it might be a different story, but he didn't look the same beast in round two of both Anderson fights.

The only other caveat to that is how much risk Chris is willing to take once he falls a few rounds down on the scoreboards. If he gets too aggressive he could end up like Bader.

IMO if Chris is to win it will be in round one.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #43
theheater

Red Belt

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolandabecool View Post
I think so. Chris is too slow to stop it. If Chris can threaten the takedown past round two it might be a different story, but he didn't look the same beast in round two of both Anderson fights.

The only other caveat to that is how much risk Chris is willing to take once he falls a few rounds down on the scoreboards. If he gets too aggressive he could end up like Bader.

IMO if Chris is to win it will be in round one.
yeah i agree machida will try the same strategy but i dont know why youd make the other 2 assumptions or even see them as likely

1) he will fall behind on the scorecards early. weidman has been shown to be exceptionally effective early in fights. machida to come flying out of the gates vs hendo, davis, or rampage either. other than a foot sweep with like 3 seconds left vs hendo i think machida might have been behind at the end of the first round in all 3 fights

2) he will make the same mistake bader did. baders bull charge might have been the biggest mental meltdown of any current top 10 fighter. hendo, rampage, davis, moose, etc didnt have any sort of mental meltdown.

weidman stood infront of anderson in his first ever title fight and was being taunted by what everyone was saying was the greatest of all time and pretty much a wizard on the feet. weidman pushed forward in a calculated and composed manner. didnt get hit and kept landing. people forget that weidman kept landing solid shots that fight and wasnt being hit, long before the ko came

-Cosmo Kramer 1997
theheater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 AM   #44
Yolandabecool

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheater View Post
yeah i agree machida will try the same strategy but i dont know why youd make the other 2 assumptions or even see them as likely

1) he will fall behind on the scorecards early. weidman has been shown to be exceptionally effective early in fights. machida to come flying out of the gates vs hendo, davis, or rampage either. other than a foot sweep with like 3 seconds left vs hendo i think machida might have been behind at the end of the first round in all 3 fights

2) he will make the same mistake bader did. baders bull charge might have been the biggest mental meltdown of any current top 10 fighter. hendo, rampage, davis, moose, etc didnt have any sort of mental meltdown.

weidman stood infront of anderson in his first ever title fight and was being taunted by what everyone was saying was the greatest of all time and pretty much a wizard on the feet. weidman pushed forward in a calculated and composed manner. didnt get hit and kept landing. people forget that weidman kept landing solid shots that fight and wasnt being hit, long before the ko came
I agree that round one will likely go to Weidman. I don't see him getting the takedown after that though.

In regards to the striking I think Maia, Sonnen & Weidman highlight the difference the takedown threat can have on an outcome. Maia handled Sonnen within a round & outstruck Weidman for large portions of that bout. Anderson struggled with both.

Machida doesn't have the same level of striking as Anderson but he does fight in a which which dramatically bolsters his TDD. IMO and this is subjective, Chris doesn't have a great gas tank. He cuts big weight & that has it's disadvantages.

Weidman will get Machida down in the first & IMO if he doesn't finish him he loses. Regarding the Bader conclusion, I feel a fighter can sense when they are losing a hold on a bout. If Weidman tires like I think he will he may get aggressive if he doesn't feel a decision is on the cards.

He finished Anderson via strikes in the first bout, but he also did it in very sloppy fashion - In a fashion which would have seen him heavily countered had Anderson maintained focus during that period of the fight.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #45
Jeffplsgo

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapchoppin View Post
the champion should always be the betting favourite
What a unintelligent statement.. Why?

"Im here to put these ass whoppins down to there maximum effect" - Nathan "Urban Poet" Diaz.
Jeffplsgo is online now   Reply With Quote