Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #81
BigFatUnderwear

Black Belt

vCash: 500
it would solidify his #1 p4p status

Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #82
pjmman

Blue Belt

if there was such a thing, GSP would be P4P goat now.

pjmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #83
pjmman

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XociDe View Post
I've been saying it for years that GSP is #1 p4p. It always baffled me how someone (Anderson) could get DOMINATED for 4 and a half rounds by another human being and still be considered the p4p best. No.

GSP dominates everybody in every area of MMA for 5 fking rounds. He's fought wayyy better competition than Anderson over the years. I'm sure people forget that champions are fighting THE BEST guys in the world every single time. It's not easy to finish world class competition who have been training for just as long as them.

Jon Jones is a freak of nature but he's a HW fighting at LHW. If he went up to HW and finished Cain, JDS, Werdum etc then I would put him at #1. I'm not hating but almost everyone he has fought has been way past their prime and in all honesty, old.

I find 5 rounds of pure domination over another world class fighter more impressive than a TKO.

GSP is #1 p4p.
... perfectly said.

pjmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #84
aries

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3434 View Post
probably shouldn't quote this before reading the entire thread since i'm sure this has been quoted with a lot of "WTF's" and "lol's"

Matt Hughes says hi btw
Matt Hughes, who BJ Penn a LW beat? lol You're a funny man.
Yes Hughes has a good reign but he was from a different era of MMA. Prime Hughes wouldn't even be top ten ranked at WW these days.

Only one of his opponents that I would call elite fighter was Condit and that was a hard fight for GSP. JBJ tooled Vitor, tooled Machida and Shogun. He has had no hard fights.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #85
sp00k

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStruck View Post
Maybe, to impress you, GSP would need to fight bloated up ranked LW like TJ Grant and Melendez. Im sure he would struggle against them
Its ok, i get it. you're a gsp fan, you disagree. i disagree with you.

100%

sp00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #86
SamRI

Orange Belt

Location: In the dark part within GSP's head, you have no idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGoat View Post
Couldn't you argue the same thing about GSPs opponents with the only exception being Condit? He's the only relevant one out of any in his win streak.
Well here that's testament to the WW division as some of the guys he beat we're top 5 guys for years and now that they have faded a little there is a whole new crop of contenders (Hendricks, Maia, McDonald, Lawler, Brown) where as there hasn't been any such turnover at LHW, all these guys seem to be declining but no one has rised to the top or dropped weight classes to make a legitimate run at the title.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #87
GoatGoat

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRI View Post
Well here that's testament to the WW division as some of the guys he beat we're top 5 guys for years and now that they have faded a little there is a whole new crop of contenders (Hendricks, Maia, McDonald, Lawler, Brown) where as there hasn't been any such turnover at LHW, all these guys seem to be declining but no one has rised to the top or dropped weight classes to make a legitimate run at the title.
I think that is a reach.

The post I was responded to mentioned GSP running through the new breed at WW, which I don't believe he has (at least not anymore than Jones has at LHW) since the new breed are the fighters you mention. I also do not think it is relevant at all to discuss depth in a division when discussing P4P when a fighter hasn't fought the current top group of fighters in his own division. All weight classes seem to be cyclical anyway and subjective. You say LHW is declining and nobody is stepping up, but just as many people would contend that Jones is so good it makes it look like the division is terrible. It happened at Middleweight for years.

Fortitudine Vincimus
GoatGoat is offline   Reply With Quote