Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #391
gevoudane

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
I'm not, thought I would after some of my original favorite retired, new ones keep coming up and surprising me.

gevoudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #392
Gravy_Gecko

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand4Life View Post
I loathe and detest the only major outlet of MMA thats left.
I absolutely hate how they operate, what they value, and what they disrespect.

Don Fry said it best, sometimes I look around at this crap today and I'm embarrassed I had something to do with it.
Same here.

I was a huge fan in the 90s. What the UFC is today barely resembles what MMA was in the 90s. Now everyone's one and only concern seems to be the money.

I hope it all collapses soon so maybe we can see no-holds-barred tournaments with martial artists sometime again in the future.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #393
Maryse

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Alpha View Post
When Aldo is the most boring champ in the UFC, it can't be that bad.
Cain has no personality, good fighter but he's an ugly finisher with no real KO power.
Jones is exciting in and out of the cage.
Weidman is just your typical personality less American wrestler (see Cain) with 2 good wins.
No Champ at 170 but Hendricks is an exciting fighter in and out.
Pettis, exciting in the cage not so much out of it.
Aldo same as above.
Barao same as above
Mighty Mouse mostly boring fighter with no personality.

The days of characters in MMA are long gone. The days of Liddel, Tito, Ken, Rampage, Wandy, Shogun are over, and thats just one division once full of great personalities. Even Fedor the cold silent type, theres a huge difference between that and someone like cain who just has no personality and sucks at interviews.

On top of all this , its less a sport and now a career, so guys have to protect their career and so many fighters thesedays fight to the unified rules, fight for points just to get the win and the bonus money. Gone is that love of fighting when guys went to war for $10 now they lay and pray for $10,000.

Ronda Rousey
Anthony Pettis
Mark Hunt
Ronaldo Souza
Lyoto Machida
Gegard Mousasi
Maryse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #394
SpyDRfreeK

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Nicky View Post
too many events that are really watered down. there is a bar down the street from me that shows ufc for free and i don't even go half the time at this point because the cards are really weak.
this, pretty much

SpyDRfreeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #395
cgf

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Hoe View Post
Lol, that fight sucked. It was intense for the first 2 rounds and after that it was same old Machida tactics. I mostly blame GM though. The guy obviously thought he was in UFC 1 with no time limits. The irony of your post was amusing.
That's like, your opinion man, but that was one of my favorite fights in a long time. Seeing two amazing strikers like that picking and priding for each other was just too good. It's very rare that you get that much skill going at each other.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #396
Scamrock

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryse View Post
Theres alot of crap PPVs as well. Even stacked PPVs thesedays only have 4 or 5 good fights at the absolute most the rest are just jobbers facing jobbers.
Really? Going back over the last year, the PPVs were really good, IMO. Which ones did you think were crap?

Scamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #397
riddleofsteel

Purple Belt

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianstaine View Post
For me personally it might be my age.. being in my mid thirties i grew up in the "Tyson" era and then when the UFC came along their were a lot of really gritty fighters with Great personalities and/or Ego's.. Randy/Tito/Chuck etc.. There's just no real "Polarizing" figure for me anymore like those guys. For me, none of the champs are really all that compelling, but i think that i may just be an old fucker cause i still get excited for cards with Barnett and Hendo on them etc... also way too many watered down cards and i got kids and expenses i used to not have with sports etc. and id rather go out to a steak dinner than pay 60 bucks for what usually turns out to be something i regret because it was lame
Bold text is a really good point. One would think with the UFC & Fox deal, they'd work to put on some midweek shows, kind of how some college football teams are willing to play Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays to get on TV. I think people watching those games shows sports fans are looking for something to watch.
Use the midweek cards to buildup fighters for the bigger weekend & PPV cards. Heck, put some bigger names on the midweek cards too.

Like you posted, if I was in your position and decided this was the weekend you had the time to watch a ppv, I'd have been pissed off with this card.
man, I watched it for free at a bar and I'm irritated that I could have spent those couple of hours in a better bar.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #398
phatron

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddleofsteel View Post
Bold text is a really good point. One would think with the UFC & Fox deal, they'd work to put on some midweek shows, kind of how some college football teams are willing to play Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays to get on TV. I think people watching those games shows sports fans are looking for something to watch.
Use the midweek cards to buildup fighters for the bigger weekend & PPV cards. Heck, put some bigger names on the midweek cards too.
many of the fight nights are already on Wednesdays. in the next 5-6 weeks there is a fight night on a Wednesday, a Friday and another one on a sunday.

phatron is offline   Reply With Quote